Rattling/Clattering noise from top left of engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderlane

Hi All

I have a 2001 1.7 Puma with approx 73k miles on the clock. (Cambelt change done at 60k miles by previous owner). Car has aircon.

The car has developed a loud rattling/clattering noise which is coming from the top left of the engine (it seems). I initially suspected the bearing in the Aux idler pulley so I changed the pulley and belt. However the problem is still there, and it's getting worse (louder) over time. It sounds exactly like I'd expect if the bearing in the aux idler was failing (in fact that bearing was a little loose).

The engine doesn't use any oil, starts perfectly, revs perfectly, does about 320 miles per tank, doesn't overheat and generally works fine in every other respect.

However as the noise is getting louder and louder as time goes on, I'm keen to resolve it before something fails.

Any ideas as to the cause? Like I say, it sounds like it's coming from the Aux pulley but it isn't. Could it be the water pump or alternator?

All ideas and help gratefully received.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Yog,

Thanks for your response.

Well can't be 100% sure but the service book stamp says "Cambelt change inc. kit", so I guess so. I didn't get any receipts with the car, so who really knows what's actually in there without taking it to bits.

Is there something I could check? Could the tensioner be loose?

Cheers
Mark

mate i had exactly the same noise turned out to be a silver screw from the cover that covers the htc leads had fallen down the back wen they changes my spark plugs got a magnet and fished it out lol

If they fitted the Kit, then the cambelt tensioner should be OK, although there have been instances when it has been wrongly set up.
As gaychav says, I would look around for the simple things first.

I would expect the water pump and the alternator to squeal like a stuck pig before they start to rattle, same with the tensioner. You could always take the aux belt off and start it. If it still rattles, it's not the pump, alternator or tensioner. Check the bearings of them all while the belt's off.
Worst case scenario, cam bearings knackered allowing one (or both) of the cams to rattle about. Doubtful but possible.

Back