rear bushes replaced now rear wheels not in line

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo2nil

I replaced the rear bushes on the puma with help from the guides on here, now rear wheels not in line, n/s/r is further back in the arch then o/s/r
does it need 4 wheel tracking and does any 1 have any idea how much it costs
p.s thanks for the guide was a masive help .

The rears are not adjustable. Are you 100% sure its sitting further back? By how much?

Its quote common to have a little toe in/out on the rear of these (they left the factory that way) and that can play tricks on the eye.

did you remove the beam by undoing the moutning brackets? there is adjustment on these brackets

P1060170.JPG

you are meant to only do the mount bracket bolts up finger tight then lower car to ground and tighten the rest of the way when the car is on its weight. It pulls itself back in line.

if you didnt remove the brackets sounds like an issue with the bushes, what bushes did you use?

Yeah they only go on 1 way the bolt holes are different distance apart Front and back,
I will try and sort it on the week end and let you know how I get on

loosen all bolts on teh brackets, then lower car onto its own weight and re tighten, car weight pull pull beam straight

also thats the Ford TIS procedure.

Got geo checked on mine after and it was spot on, apart from a few mm in steering angle, but thats not related that

lol.. are you sure you've done the wheel up properly... :lol:

the amount of movment possible in the beam mounting is pretty mimimal..you certainly wouldn't see it that obviously...

something trapped inbetween the wheel and brakes..??

not sure, there is quite a lot of sideways adjustment built into the brackets, that would multiply up at the wheel end

P1060069.JPG

cant really tell from that pic really

N/s/r wheel is nearly on the mudflap and other side is ok.
I think I might of done the 1 bracket back up when the car was in the air ?

bravo2nil said:
N/s/r wheel is nearly on the mudflap and other side is ok.
I think I might of done the 1 bracket back up when the car was in the air ?

Have you checked it isn't the mud flap that's moved? :grin:

quite an old thread mate, i just re-opened it as i want to know the standard procedure

When I did mine, there was a tapered pin projecting from the flood, about 10mm in diameter, that located in a hole in the bracket. Tightening up the mounting bolts pulled the bracket into line. I would suggest tightening up the bracket bolts in the air, with both side up, then the bush bolts with both wheels on the ground (unless the TIS states otherwise). All seemed fine when I tracked it up the other week. I used Proflex bushes from the usual on line auction site.

I did mine in the air, and had the exact same problem.Also iirc tightening the bush bolts on the ground is necessary with standard bushes but I dont think it matters with poly bushes

ok so ill tighten bush bolts up till finger tight when rear beam is off car, then the brackets that mount in the floor should be completely tight with car in the air? is that what people are saying? as earlier in thread its advised to tighten up bracket bolts when car is down.

We do seem to have a difference in opinion however I personally believe the info about tightening the bracket bolts up on the floor is from the Ford TIS procedure. I also know I tightened mine up while it was in the air and it was wrong.Wrong enough to be easily seen by eye alone.And I had no mudflaps at that time.Tighten up to 50nm

If your using normal replacement bushes and not poly bushes I believe its also Ford TIS procedure to tighten the bush bolts up to the correct torque 120nm iirc while its on the floor.

If you choose to tighten the bracket bolts up in the air you can do so, measure it and if its wrong you can do it agian.

If you tighten the bolt bushes up using (normal bushes) in the air it is my belief they will wear prematurely,As they will be tightened up at the wrong angle.

Back