Removed the pcv valve.... but can see through it.....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOTAMALTAPUMA

Hi again,

I asked for help in locating the pcv valve - and thanks for the 2 answers - now I have it out I'm a bit surprised that there is no resistance either way when I blow through it from either end.
It rattles when I shake it, and the piston inside it goes up and down if I shake it.... but...

Is this valve supposed to be a one way job?
Gases from crankcase to inlet manifold only?
Sucked by higher pressure in manifold at idle and blown by higher pressure in crankcase at higher revs?

If so, should I be able to blow through it? (as if blowing into crankcase)
Is it shot?

Thanks to anyone who understands this little valve better than I do!

There was definately nothing wrong with mine when they removed it, and it was as you described yours as far as I can remember.

If no-ones replied by tonight I'll have a closer look at mine (as its deep in the garage somewhere)

Dom36 said:
There was definately nothing wrong with mine when they removed it, and it was as you described yours as far as I can remember.

If no-ones replied by tonight I'll have a closer look at mine (as its deep in the garage somewhere)

Thanks Dom36, would appreciate that. Cheers.

Hi all,

Just resurrecting an old thread :?:
Experiencing what I consider to be fairly high oil consumption but without blue smoke or burning smell. I've read it can be to do with the PCV. I've done the same as WOTAMALTAPUMA's original post, removed it and can blow thro' in both directions. Wondering if anyone has the answer on how to check it?

Cheers,
:)

The valve has a spring inside to hold it shut . They get carboned up and will need to be cleaned with Carb cleaner or immersed in petrol in a container to free it up. When its freed up ok, when you shake the valve, you should be able to hear a plunger and spring rattling.

They usually don't seal off completely, but there should be a fair amount of restriction when you blow through with your mouth. If it's easy to blow in both directions it's all gunged up.

Thanks DOH, :cool:

Is the valve a push fit in to the crankcase and I can "just" pop it out?

Yes it's a push fit into a rubber grommit. it will pull out with some pliers.
The valve is similar to all the earlier fords as early as the 1970's or maybe earlier. If it's stuck open you will also have a lean mixture into the engine.

Pumping up this very old thread, but it is relevant for me.
I do indeed notice oil consumption.
Gases on mot are all fine. No smoke. Exhaust is not oily, only dry soot. And seems to occur at highway speeds when the engine is over 4000k rpm
I've ordered one of these valves and will replace.
Since my engine is over 125k miles, I guess it is good to change. May help, or not.

Back