Removing interior

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mare1812

Dear puma owners. I am interested in removing dashboard because of leaking water inside when it raining..i found one place(where the fusebox wireing going into the car-inside) but somewhere is still leaking.
I want to remove a whole dashboard... but where i need to start first? What will happened with clock of speed and that?

And one more question- when i remove whole carpeting how i can return it? Is there some clips or what?

Sorry for bad english i hope you will understand me.
Thank you for help :p

mare1812 said:
[post]365711[/post] I am interested in removing dashboard because of leaking water inside when it raining.
Other people have tried all that, it's a lot of work and it doesn't solve the problem. The leaks have to be fixed from the outside or they just find a way around 'repairs' in the cabin.

Frank said:
[post]365714[/post]
mare1812 said:
[post]365711[/post] I am interested in removing dashboard because of leaking water inside when it raining.
Other people have tried all that, it's a lot of work and it doesn't solve the problem. The leaks have to be fixed from the outside or they just find a way around 'repairs' in the cabin.

Ok you think to not doing that... i am so confused :roll: i would like to get into good car mechanic but in my town they all sucks. I will make it better even if i am a girl :wink: :lol:

If you took all the interior and carpet out, and left it in the rain could you not find the area where water is getting in then by watching where the leak forms?

Removing the dash is a nightmare, I'd avoid at all costs!

Mine ended up leaking from the actual windscreen. Have you ever had it replaced? Mine had a tiny break in the sealant

XAF said:
[post]365716[/post] If you took all the interior and carpet out, and left it in the rain could you not find the area where water is getting in then by watching where the leak forms?

Mine ended up leaking from the actual windscreen. Have you ever had it replaced? Mine had a tiny break in the sealant

Dear XAF, i did not remove the whole carpeting- i was asking if i remove it how i put it back- is there clips, glue or what?
First that i done with my leaking problem is that i went to windscreen removing ( i see that the old glue is so bad that from that spot was growing plant :lol: :lol: )

So the next step is to remove carpeting...

mare1812 said:
[post]365718[/post]
XAF said:
[post]365716[/post] If you took all the interior and carpet out, and left it in the rain could you not find the area where water is getting in then by watching where the leak forms?

Dear XAF, i did not remove the whole carpeting- i was asking if i remove it how i put it back- is there clips, glue or what?
First that i done with my leaking problem is that i went to windscreen removing ( i see that the old glue is so bad that from that spot was growing plant :lol: :lol: )

So the next step is to remove carpeting...

If you start by taking out the front seats, unscrew the gear knob and then pull up the centre console to remove. Unclip the handbrake surround and push it into the gap so it doesn't catch when you take the whole carpet out

Unbolt the rear seat backrest and remove, then unclip the rear seat from the front and remove. Take off the door seals at the bottom where they touch the carpet and then unbolt the seatbelt bars. They twist at an angle to remove.

The carpet should then be free to remove, from memory it's removed by withdrawing from the rear

Thank you very much. Now i must wait to stop raining because i don t have garages. But i can see if you have puma you need garages :lol:
And when you start to solving some problems you want to repar everything in the car to be like new one :lol:
And from where you get parts for puma..in my country it is very hard to get something. I was searching for months to repair electric windows...it was a nightmare to find parts :roll:

mare1812 said:
[post]365715[/post]
Frank said:
[post]365714[/post]
mare1812 said:

Ok you think to not doing that... i am so confused :roll: i would like to get into good car mechanic but in my town they all sucks. I will make it better even if i am a girl :wink: :lol:
I can see why you thought of taking the dash out, but no.

I've never had any water leaks with my Puma, but I have fixed them on other people's cars and it's not hard and you don't need any fancy parts. More importantly, it works - you find the leak and fix it and it stays fixed -

Try this - https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=362977#p362977

NB - the sealant I suggest in that link is great, but for more visible areas, then I'd just use something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H0XCLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's clear and smells like model aeroplane glue and it's very, very good.

I think that i will add color into the water...than shower the car.. when i found (i hope i will) then i will remove seats and carpets. I remove just a little bit of carpet and it is a nightmare. Rust is on the floor. Obviosly that was a long time problem and maybe that is the reason why previousley owner sell that car. The engine is very good i don t have any problem. I just need to do normal, regular service (oil change, filters and that kind of stuff).
But i am crazy about water :evil: :twisted:

mare1812 said:
[post]365726[/post] I think that i will add color into the water...than shower the car..
Yeah, once you have located the general leaking area, you can fine tune it with different coloured food colours every few centimetres, if you need to.

I hope that this is the reason of leaking. But i do not know how is under my driver seat more water that passenger spot...

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 128
Do you have the carpets out at the moment and if you do are all the holes in the inner sills taped over? If they aren't it's possible that water is coming in through these, particularly the ones towards the front of the car. If the car has been built properly at the factory every hole should be sealed with a very sticky black foam tape but sometimes these are missed out or don't completely cover the holes.
Barry

I took the car to one man because i did not have time and garages to do that. He says that he pulled out carpets and everything. But i am sad because i did not do that job. I like to do everything clean and nice. And i can see how he put the silicone. It is everywhere!!! I want clean and nice. Not messy!!
And now it is sunshine and i can not see if it still leaks. I will take the car at the car washer tomorow and i will see...
He told me that when he put water on the car that from that spot was coming so much water... i will see tomorow but still if it will be dry i am so angry and Mad about that messy work!! :evil:

I removed the dashbord to fix leaks. It helped to fix the leaks around the wiring for the fusebox on the passenger side.

The more common leaks were coming through cracks in the corner of the footwells where the three walls meet. Take out the seats (not difficult), like down in the footwell, look up, and you will see the 'corner' I talk about. You can fix those leaks without removing the dashboard, and a small amount of sealant is enough.

The leaks around the wiring had to be sealed above and below. Fixing from below took a lot of sealant before the leak would stop. I couldn't have done that without removing the dashboard and the interior so I could see exactly where the water was coming through.

Sealing outside of the wiring on the passenger side was difficult. If I had to do it again I would remove the bonnet to fix this.

Latest posts

Back