repair to arches

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onevone

http://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/onevone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just thought it would be nice to show all progress to arch repair

For the sake of accuracy this repair wasn't done with rattle cans was it?

Also I'm thinking being confident is definately not enough with rattle cans and most people are going to be sadly dissappointed if they are excpecting to produce a result anything like this with cans.

rattle cans are not fine will look terrible if anyone attempts a large area panel and blend like a rear quarter with a can

repair looks good but doesnt show what was done with regards the rust? was it all cut out and fresh metal welded in? if not wont be long before it returns

when i said rattle cans are ok i did mean for small areas,not for big jobs,sorry for giving the wrong impression.The arches were cut out and welded with pug 206 arches cheers.

Actually, you can do a big job with rattle cans, as long as you know what you are doing, the metallic colour from a halfords type can is fine, but you can't expect a good finish with a cellulose lacquer, it will never be as shiny or as deep as a 2k lacquer, or as ressiliant, but you can get 2k lacquer in a can now, and you can get a very good finish with it. If the can has the fan spray pattern nozzle, you can get a real good finish with none of the clean up of a gun and compressor.

The problem with cans is not so much the quality of the paint, well ok a bit to do with it lol, bit more the quality will always be degraded due to being diluted with aerosols, that and you will never get the coverage out a can no matter the nozzle, it just won't match the through put of a compressor. Iv never seen a rattle can job yet where you can't tell its cans, that's in real life btw its easy to make something appear the real deal in pics

Paint in a can is only diluted as much with thinners as when you mix it up to put it in a top feed gun that works off a compressor. The pressure required behind it only has to be enough to blow the spray particles onto the surface, so the aerosol is more then capable. Yes you can have a bigger fan width on a gun, and more coverage per pass, but with enough aerosol cans, you can get all the coverage you need. The main problem people have with rattle cans is the finish, it's either grainy from spraying too far away, or its uneven or has runs from inconsistant spray pattern. & finally, even when people do get those things right, the paintwork has orange peel, and if cellulose lacquer is used, it looks dull and comes off easily. If 2k lacquer is used, and the item was prepped properly, and it's mopped properly afterwards, I think you might be surprised!! If you had access to a proper oven to properly cure the piece, it would be better, but most people don't.

i have to agree with pumanoob i didnt think it was possible to get a good finish with cans before, but i have now used some of the 2k cans and i think it is possible,it is bloody good stuff!

I think just as big an issue is the quality of the preparation, and as PumaNoob says "as long as you know what your doing" is pretty major as well.

I'm glad to hear good things about 2k lacquer in cans as I will be doing some temporary repairs myself at some point.

It would be good if some one pro or semi pro with bodywork and paint did a detailed how to on an arch with cans.

But I still think many people will spend their money swapping a small area of upsetting rust into a large area of upsetting bad paintwork.

Back