Replaced lighter for USB socket, always powered

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandStorm

So, I replaced the lighter by a permanent USB module.
But it is being constantly fed, and the little USB led is always on.
Will this lead me to trouble, or is ok?

Have you wired it up to the ciggy lighter?

It shouldn't cause a problem as such but could end up draining your battery. How quick it will do that depends on what current is being drawn and how long the car sits between each use.

If you want a feed thats only live with the ignition on,
the live feed for the heated screen is just behind the stereo. This is only live while the ignition is on.
I have a usb feed in the track car (wired this way) for charging my camera/ running gps speedo.

Mine doesn't have windshield heater
Oh, and besides having that heater panel, mine is actually a first series puma.

SandStorm said:
[post]363125[/post] Will this lead me to trouble, or is ok?
A borderline case, as Tony above said. The LED is not the problem there, but the 12v to 5v transformer might be. You could maybe 'get away' with that for 364 days in a year, not use the car for 3 days in a cold January and one morning, er, your battery is flat.

Some 'parasitic drains' are pretty obvious and some, like this, more borderline. Using a plugin USB transformer that could be removed when not needed, might be a better option.

A simple solution might be to simply add a switch to the live feed.
Withe no heated screnn in your car you could use the blank and a h/s switch.

I don't think there will be a transformer - more likely a 5V regulator, as used to be used for temp and tank gauges. Current drain would be pretty low, but why not use the switched supply that feeds the radio?

Well, I don't know which one is the radio power supply yet, I totally suck at electrical stuff :lol:
I used the lighter because was the easiest one. And since I don't smoke, I won't need it at all.
When I have time I'll check more in depth :)

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30685&p=360152#p360152

This is what I used to provide me with various feeds

Back