Replacing the rocker cover gasket

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberjohnson

Hi

Now this is probably a simple question with a simple answer, but I haven't had my Puma long or done that much car engine work generally, so apologies for my ignorance... :roll:

I noticed that I was low on oil. After filling up I took off the engine cover panel to have a look and found quite a bit of old oil that the spark plugs were sitting in, almost a cm deep. I cleaned it all up and I'll have another look tomorrow to see if more has appeared. Assuming there is a leak, does it sound like the rocker cover gasket? Is it simple to change? I have found instructions here
http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=83&ht=Zetec%20Valve%20Cover%20Gasket%20Replacement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which is for a Ford Focus. Is it basically the same for the Puma?

As a related question, is there any way of telling if the cam belt needs changing? I bought mine with about 85,000 on the clock and very little service history. I've read recommendations of changing it at 80,000. Maybe a leak in the rocker cover gasket would indicate that it hasn't been done, since this is (I believe) usually done as part of that procedure?

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

p.s. what a great car!

if you bought the car on 85k with no history i would definatly get the cam belt changed for the peace of mind. Someone one told me there is a way to tell if it needs changing by if it looks shiney or something like that (i cant remember exactly because it sounded like BS at the time)

I heard that there was a way of 'half' checking by looking at the belt to see if it had arrows on it. I can't remember exactly but I think if there were arrows then it was still on the original belt. I've never checked this though.

Yes, that guide outlines the general procedure. With the 1.7 you have to take the top cover off first using an allen key and then you can remove the valve cover which I do not believe there are as many fixings for as for that focus.

I'll be changing my gasket at the weekend so if you've not done it by then i'll be happy to help further if required.

Back