Replacing the steering wheel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilltc

Hey,

I was thinking about changing my standard steering wheel for an OMP one without an airbag. Worried that the boss will bring the wheel to far forward and make the driving position cramped. Has anyone changed their wheel here or is it best to stick with the standard one?

Would the wheel out of a focus ST fit?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil - welcome along.

If you look in out 'How To' guides, you'll see a thorough write up on how to take off your steering wheel:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest problem you may have with an after market wheel is the airbag I would have thought. The air bag warning light will come on the dashboard and be an MOT fail unless you do something with the wiring (Not sure which ones fit - Fiesta one's will although they are much the same)

airbag light on is not an mot fail
my golf light was on for the past 3 mot,s

I installed a Sparco wheel with Momo boss, I dont think it sticks out any more than a standard wheel. (I could measure for you if you like) The air bag, well I replaced the seats so stripped out all the wiring but still had the light on the dash, so i carefully broke the circuit at the back of the light.
_DSC3495.jpg

The wheel Boss should come with an airbag light by-pass wire (basically a fused wire that clips into the airbag's previous connector)... at least mine did when I changed it, it was a MOMO boss & wheel.

Back