Rhythmic tapping / clicking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighatrist

Noticed it a couple of days ago and is now starting to get on my nerves.

When i start her up, she goes to 1200rpm ish then idles at approx 850 - 900rpm. As it goes down to idle speed a clicking sound comes from the middle of the engine. Whilst driving, as i accelerate, it speeds up with the engine, then when changing gear, it becomes louder slightly and again mimics the engine speed.

Just asked a mechanic friend and he's said its the crank going and will eventually ''chuck a leg out'' and run on 3 cylinders, and like a bag of s**t once it has done. although the clicking will stop.

Any ideas or suggestions of anything else it could be???

To be honest Martin, im almost scared to drive her at the minute. Will see if i can get a video up tomorrow on way to or from work.

Did this mechanic friend actually see / hear the car prior to issuing his errr colourful opinion?

yes Quest, I started the car up on the road outside his house and pulled onto his garden, first thing he said was crank. then something about oil pressure needs to be at 14psi before the oil light goes out. To be honest, im in two minds as to whether my pants are being pulled down over this.

I'll chuck a video up tomorrow of the noise if i can capture it and see what people think.

Always best to get a few opinions other than just the guy who stands to maybe make some cash on the job. I hope it doesnt turn out to be the crank. Clicking doesnt sound that bad on the face of it. I always thought cranks made more of a knocking than a clicking when they were on the way out.

If it's a ticking sound, & increases with engine RPM, then it's possible it's a big end or main bearing. It is more of a knocking sound normally, but when it first starts to go, there is very little movement so it can sound like ticking. It can also be worn cam lobes, more from the head, but with the acoustics of the engine bay and bonnet can make it sound like it's coming from elsewhere. Another important thing to chech is the cam belt, if it gets a slight tear in it, it can hit the cam belt cover on every rotation and again can sound like ticking.

Thanks for the info guys. ''driving'' her at less than 2000rpm at the min till i can afford to get her properly checked out and repaired :(

Would it be worth paying the £400 to get the crank done and fully serviced at the same time?

Did think that Martin, but its unknown how the engine runs etc or why it has been removed. There is a 77k one on the bay going for £150 which seems a bit of a bargain

have a look at some of the members breaking puma's on here,the thing is you dont know how far gone the engine you have now,and if the liners are shot very hard to find some1 to redo them,hence getting another engine,takes about a day for a swap depending how good/quick you are etc

OK pardon the ''bone question'' here, would it be worthwhile getting the gearbox aswell as the engine? or would engine alone suffice?

Video of this sound [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadsOU_3sUI[/youtube]

Please be aware it was 0430 this morning on my way to work :D

0:05 car starts WITHOUT me touching the throttle

0:21 slightly rev the car to around 2k rpm

0:28 ''clunk click every trip'' ;)

0:47 knocking gets really noticeable as i pull off and change to second.

1:17 there it is again :'(

1:27 slightly give her the beans, lo and behold - sounds like a trapped woodpecker in there!!!

I am far from an expert so listen to what the others say, but thats very much the noise I associate with crank probs :(

for the record the bottom end on pumas is considered a sealed unit, if you try and split it you wont be able to line the ladder back up properly, people have done it though and guessed, but i question how reliable they are and how long they last

ok so laying ot outright, an engine swap is going to be more cost effective, and simpler to do. . . . .

now, can someone tell me if i need another 1.7l from a Millennium edition or will a standard 1.7 go in just as well??

Back