Roll cage fitted to my track puma.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigal82

Finally got the roll cage fitted on the track puma, waited almost 2 months for it from safety devices as they stopped making all cages as they had a big military contract on.

but got it in the end. the options i went for were rear cage with x bars and harness bar, front cage which included two bars running to the front foot wells and a bar across the top of the windscreen, and i also went with low down door bars. come in at about £840.00 all in with delivery which is quite alot but you can save £100.00 by having only 1 rear bar and no harness bar but i love the way mine looks.

went to my mechanic ollies for the day to get it put in and we both spent the whole day getting it in but managed it. getting the rear part of the cage in is a right struggle and very tight and well made. we got the whole lot in and bolted loosely together and then marked out all the points where the foot plates needed welding in.

took it all out then welded in the foot plates, then put it all back in and bolted it all in tightly.

we had a couple of problems with the cage, firstly being the flanges on the side of the rear cage that bolt into the seat belt holes for upper rigidity. they were about an inch too far back and no where near the holes, we had to cut these off and re weld them back in the correct position, someone else had this same problem as well.

second was that the front foot plates you have to drill out two 20mm holes in the floor pan for the 2 captive nuts on the back of the plate.

looks good though and i love it, tightens the car up no end, the car feels so solid and it even cocks a back wheel when cornering hard now :D .

ready for the cage.

DSC_6626.jpg

rear cage.

DSC_6635.jpg

ollie welding the foot plates in.

DSC_6644.jpg

DSC_6652.jpg

DSC_6647.jpg

DSC_6653.jpg

DSC_6661.jpg

DSC_6659.jpg

Roll cage all fitted.

DSC_6657.jpg

DSC_6664.jpg

DSC_6676.jpg

DSC_6672.jpg

DSC_6670.jpg

DSC_6663.jpg

DSC_6662.jpg

DSC_6678.jpg

if your going to fit one id allow a full day or even a whole weekend as it is fiddly and time consuming and everything needs to be stripped out, luckily i had already done that.

bits left to do know are get the car mapped properly to get the new inlet manifold working how it should do for the extra power. get a passenger seat to save weight and look better. remove some more weight where ever i can and book up a few track days, just need to rob a bank now as im more skint than a skint thing.

big thanks to my good mate ollie @ http://www.oc-motorsport.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking good ollie mentioned you had it done when I spoke to him getting a cage fitted before he went on holiday having my one done later this year if funds allow just can't afford it at he moment :grin: .Agree ollie is a top guy

Looking good Al :eek:k:

We've been over to Ollie's lots of times and always been very happy with his work (and price) : he put a new engine in my old Puma. His contact details can be found on his profile page:

http://www.projectpuma.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbs:

Oooh thats good to know. I shall be saving for one of these.

Need a cage in mine.

Looks very good, and the welding is excellent aswell.

Thanks everyone it's expensive as I gave Ollie £150 to help me fit it so basically 1k all in but I'd rather be alive and in another 1k debt than dead. Plus I get to try and drive it even harder now if that's possible :).

Ollies a great lad, been a very good mate of mine for many years now, I've even given him a permanent loan of my Frp cam tool so he does me favours every now and then :).

thanks neil :)

i like the way it looks now although there are some rather bright graphics being added in the next few weeks, certainly going to be able too see it coming lol.

8K9U5569.jpg

8K9U3964.jpg

As long as the "bright graphics" doesn't included pink :oops: ,bright is good .Although there seems to be so many puma's being tracked this season and "being prepared"

Are you competing in the MSA series hence the full cage?

no mate not competing just wanted it for my own safety as i drive my cars too their limit and dont fancy rolling :grin:

Good stuff m8 I agree with your thinking safety comes first on a track - at least I know Ollie will have no problem fitting a safety devices cage just need to find the cash :roll:

Voa said:
Good stuff m8 I agree with your thinking safety comes first on a track - at least I know Ollie will have no problem fitting a safety devices cage just need to find the cash :roll:

I think he might cry when you ask him, but he does know how it all goes now and the tricks so should be easier :).

Latest posts

Back