Shock absorber and spring mounting question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerB

A bit stuck here...

Currently looking to buy some good standard dampers for my Puma. Planning to put them on original springs, no lowering stuff. I am hesitating between Monroe or Sachs. Anyone knows what would be the best option, or are they both seriously good? Need to go to MOT soon so got to decide rather quickly..

Another thing I was wondering,
The OE springs are not symetrical, the space between the highest is not the same on both sides of the spring. I compared them to other OE springs and they are all identical. Which side of the spring should be up or does it not matter?
1_zpshntvd3ti.jpg

2_zpszporpqhw.jpg

20170122_153023_zpswkfr7a5w.jpg

Normally with ''progressive'' spring (like a lowering spring) the tight coils are on the top. Some people like to twist them around so there are more coils lower to the groud wich would lower the center of gravity. I don't beleve in that, the diffrence in cg is very very small. Also, if there are more coils at the bottom of the strut it would increase the unsprung weight (becaus more of the coils would move about more). I think it all comes dow to peronal prefrence. All I can say is most of the time i see progressive springs with the tight coils on the top. :wink:

Makes sense, that would be with the Ford logo upwards. The difference is indeed so small it might not make any difference. Cheers

Back