Smokkin' brakes!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurpak10

I have used several nasty words tonight!!!

i have replaced my discs and pads on the front, after my off side had siezed up.

i also replaced my offside calliper and a section of brake pipe, my caliper hose etc.
everything looked good and bled well.

i took the little lady out for a wee brake settling in spin, and low and behold smokey city off of the front offside brakes they have jammed up, has anybody got any ideas? could it be the master cylinder? i'm at a loss?

i would be very grateful if all of the very brainy, knowledgable people on this site could help

thanks just now

Smokey Joe!

Hi
Take your caliper off and check to see if your brake pads are free to slide in the caliper carriers. Sometimes some pads can be a tight fit in the slots and will not move back once they have been applied, also the slots on the caliper carriers can become rusted up. Ideally the pads should be able to move in and out as long as you keep them square to the discs. If the pads wont move carefully clean up with a wire brush and if that doesn't work gently attack the rust with a correctly shaped file.
Barry

How did the fluid come out when you bled the caliper, the flexi hose could possibly corrode and block itself and could be retaining pressure in the caliper bud

Thanks for the replies, the bleeding was good, as is a new flexi hose. I'm going to have a look at the pad seats as maybe the cause, I'll let you know when I've given them a scrub

Hi folk, I have dismantled and scrubbed and filed etc, copper slipped all the right areas, and went for a little run, and there has been a big improvement, however after three miles I have a hot offside brake, not as was previously smoking.... But just worryingly hot in comparison to the near side brakes

have you checked piston is going in and out ok? by pushing right back, then getting someone to pump brakes

also you definitely haven't put a twist in hose when tightening it?

As Lord B says push the piston back in as far as it goes so that you need to pump the brakes to get contact with pads and discs. Do it a few times and then jack the car up and see if the wheel spins freely. If it doesn't it's either the caliper sliders, the caliper piston or the pads getting wedged in the caliper carriers.
Barry

Thanks again for responses,
It is a fairly recent bearing, the hose has a slight twist in it, but nothing that I would have thought slowed the fluid down? It's jus a rubber pipe with no copper in it is it not?

Yes the flexi pipe is just fabric reinforced rubber. no copper pipe in it at all.
As I said you need to jack that wheel up apply the brakes and then spin the wheel to see if it drags. If there is a drag it's either the caliper slider pins, the piston not returning or the pads getting jammed in the caliper carriers.
Barry

As tuonokid says; Sounds like the piston isn't retracting correctly after braking... You did squeeze them all the way back in with the reservoir cap off right?

and also you will get lots of smoke if you don't remove the storage oil completely from the brake discs before installation, brake and clutch cleaner works, so does electrical contact cleaner.

Back