Speaker cabling for the door

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapid_rupio

Hey all

Im tryin to amp my new door speakers but wen trying to run the speakers cables iv cum across the problem of where to run it throught the door into the car. I tried to put it throught the rubber tube but cant seem to get it through any tips ofr advise is muchly apreciated cheers guys.

When you say you're trying to amp your new door speakers, what do you mean?

The normal setup I've come across is that the four standard speakers run directly from the stereo, then the amp only runs to a subwoofer usually in the boot (or behind the rear panels in some FRPs). That's how mine is set up anyway.

You shouldn't then need any additional cabling going into the door, as there are wires already in place for the speakers.

how does your amp receive audio? through RCA's or speaker wire?? tell me this and I will be able to draw you a set up diagram.

as Cherie said though. most people dont amplify their door speakers. then again i crave louder speakers in my car but the wholes are too small for bigger speakers. fitting a sub always makes everything sound so much louder and reduces the need to crank it up full all the time.

plus sound deadening is also useful lol

My setup has a pair of RCA leads from the Head Unit to the amp (All signals, left, right, front and back), then speaker out cables back to behind the Head Unit to the existing speaker wires, going to the 4 (upgraded) normal speakers. Then there's the 5th channel going to the Sub.

The standard speaker cables are nice and chunky so you shouldn't need to upgrade them unless you go high-end. Just wire your amp'd speaker outputs to the normal ones behind the Head Unit.

My front speakers crackle over a certain volume (20) but on my head unit that isnt very loud i hav a sub in my boot all wired up 2 RCA's front and rear outputs running iv put new speakers in the front door but still crackle so i wan2 run new speakers cables to the new door speakers then cables to amp then the RCA from amp to head unit

It'll most likely be the internal amplifier in the Head Unit that is distorting : nothing to do with the speakers or cabling.

If you run the speaker outputs from the Amplifier in your boot back up to the existing speaker wires behind your head unit, I bet it'd help.

Bad / distorted amplification kills speakers nine times out of ten, not too much power.

You should be able to open up the existing cable gland between the chassis and door to run an extra cable? If not, then you could drill a couple of new holes and grommet them correctly to stop water ingress.

Like this:

P6142593.gif

yer i had a feeling i may hav to drill something to get the speakers ran. as i tried to run it through the s-type tubing but no room for it. So looks like im off to the shed to find a dril :D

Cheers for the info much appreciated

The existing cable must go through that "S" type tubing, so pull that out and replace it? Or if you don't want to drill, just leave the original stuff in the "S" tubing and terminate your new stuff either side?

Iv'e run new cable through to the doors....

on the car side there is a plastic blanking plug you can drill a hole in and put a grommit in....then to go through the door i drilled a hole just under where the door swing mechanism is...it's recessed and tucked away slightly so quite a neat job..... just treat the raw edge of the hole....

it's a little fiddy, you need to swing the doors right out to do it, so an ideal job outside during the warmr months...

:)

Back