Sports CAT Yes/No?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

Hi All, and yes another question!

I previously made a post regarding the preferred position of a CAT as I'm wanting to upgrade/change my exhaust but looking at different options.

I was intending on fitting a sports CAT (200 cell or similar) but stumbled on information relating to the fitting of CATs and that a vehicle manufactured/registered after a 1st March 2001 legally must have a 'TYPE APPROVED' CAT.
Typically my Fiesta was registered in 2002.

A little research has turned up....
* The universal CATs are basically cheap poo that may pass the first MOT but not the second...
* Fitting a non-type approved CAT to a vehicle manufactured/registered after the 'cut-off' date is illegal and could result in a £5,000 fine...
* Non-type approved CATs are sold for non-road use only...

I am running a Puma lump in my Fiesta so is the CAT 'type approval' relevant to the vehicle or engine..?
Could I potentially fit a non-type approved sports CAT if the fitted engine was from ''an early Puma manufactured/registered before 1st March 2001''. In an extreme case, could a check on the engine number with the DVLA be used to confirm this? But, if the engine was from a donor vehicle that was declared as being scrapped, would the donor vehicle details including the engine number be destroyed/removed from the DVLAs system?

With regards to MOT, do they really check to see if the CAT is type approved or not..?

Is a CAT manufactured specifically for the car they fit? If I am right in thinking a CAT for a 1.4 Puma is the same as for the 1.7 so are the CATs manufactured within a 'tolerance'?

Could I fit a 'type approved' CAT from another vehicle and still be able to pass the MOT emissions check?

Discuss...

PS: If anyone wants to suggest me having a 'friendly' MOT tester, I'm not really willing to go down that route...

As far as I know. .oe cats on standard cars are around 400cells per inch..

The smaller, more sporty ones are generally 200 per inch and need to be warmed up on testing to pass the emissions test. .plus, oxygen sensors are designed to work close to the output, so mounting that further awsy can also add more warming up time before it can communicate back to the ecu properly

Mot stations by enlarge don't give a stuff what cat you've got on there, it either passes or fails.. they still get their fee :grin:

Regards Chris

The ecu map also plays a big part in how comfortable you pass or not, on an FRP it still only just passes when warmed up even with a brand new cat section... This wouldn't be the case on a standard puma, if it's running well, it should pass comfortably sport cat or standard

:cool:

Hi Tony
I think you'll find that one of the limiting factors on the type of cat you can fit with your 4 branch will be the room available underneath as there's not much of it, particularly for a standard car 400 cell type cat so a FRP set up will probably be the best.
Barry

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]355475[/post] The ecu map also plays a big part in how comfortable you pass or not, on an FRP it still only just passes when warmed up even with a brand new cat section... This wouldn't be the case on a standard puma, if it's running well, it should pass comfortably sport cat or standard

:cool:
I'm running standard 1.7 setup with FRP ECU.
I've got a non FRP TAPE ECU I can throw on it that'll make a pass easier.

Barry
I've been considering an FRP setup but not sure I can justify the cost at this time. Also, I've not got a 4 branch as I'm milling over a couple of other ideas....

Back