Squealing on cold start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudders666

Hi all,

Has anyone had issues with their car making a squealing noise (sounds like a belt) on cold mornings until the car gets up to temperature? If so what was it or what could it be that's relatively easy to replace?

Many thanks,

Pete :twisted:

Usually a squealing noise is the auxiliary drive belt however there are some other things which can cause it.

Check there isn't a little leak under the water pump that is a tell tale for the pump bearing going

It's been at the garage recently so I don't think I have any leaks tbh. So how do I check the auxiliary belt and how easy are they to replace?

Hi rudders is should be tight.
See if there is any lateral play around the alternator.
Also if you look below the alternator you'll see where the pump runs over the top of the waterpump. You will be looking at the 'back' of the belt, an old belt will be all cracked.
There are guides on the forum explaining the procedure, but take note of the belt route, its complicated...

My money will be on the one top middle near the engine mount (the idler pulley). Common fault.
Paul

Latest posts

Back