st 170

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

6 speed box, will it fit the 1.7 engine...its off a 2 liter st 170 assuming it is all the same, 6 speed should give me a bit more grunt, assuming it is geared for higher speed at lower revs...not sure but assuming...therefore putting it into my car with all this grunt should mean better top end cruising, anyone got any thoughts...or experience...

spoke with Chris at lightning, will be a good conversion but will need a bit of mucking about with the bolt holes and things...

paulob1 said:
6 speed box, will it fit the 1.7 engine...its off a 2 liter st 170 assuming it is all the same, 6 speed should give me a bit more grunt

The box will require some modifications to fit - at the very least mounting brackets/driveshafts... Certainly not plug 'n' play.

There are more ways of getting 'grunt' - is the goal more power/torque or more relaxed motorway speeds?

Edit: just seen your build thread :D power is not an issue then! I would be looking for a slippy diff if I had 230bhp with the potential for more :)

I have 320 bhp, and I dont really like slippy diffs and am assuming that an LSD will speed up the demise of my std ib5 box, hence the question about the 6 speed box, stronger and yes more relaxed at top speed...

but yes no simple box change is on the cards, the MTX box is better but it has a plethora of options that need to be sorted...and I have this 6 speed box and engine here...hmm

The ST170 box isn't very strong at all, that's why it wasn't used in the Focus RS I reckon that much power would kill it

All gone at pb, I had the last one
el dude said:
IB5 with a quaife diff..?? might be worth getting a new IB5 if there are any left (PBuild), they are pretty strong generally speaking..

:grin:

How about a Focus RS gearbox? You could use a Focus 1.6 bellhousing if it's not a straight fit

yes the MTX box will fit if you use the right bell housing for the starter etc, but its a faf, just wish the ib5 had a bigger reputation...i am told it will break with plus 280 bhp, assuming a commensurate increase in torque, but I am trying to use the power only in the higher gears...so will try to keep the power away from gears one and two...but with a 6th gear it would be really great to run 160 at 7000 rpm instead of 140...

Back