ST170 Puma with 6 speed box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick
I think there's a few of us on here with the same problem :) I wouldn't mind a millie as well but finding one at the right price and condition is getting hard now.
Barry

That's a good conversion. Never thought of the st170 setup in the puma. Like that!

Good work.

Amazing thread mate! Don't suppose you know if the mtx75 gearbox and shafts would need shortening 30mm also at all do you?

As that would be the same width of the focus track against the puma/fiesta i would assume?

I'm afraid I don't know about the MTX75 box but a few people suggested that as an alternative so possibly there is no shortening required but I can't confirm

Thanks McCloud 85 - its a fairly common Fiesta swap but most people use the Ka Box with the starter on the right side and throttle bodies to retain the brake servo - plus they don't have the power steering issues

as far as I know this is the only ST170 engine AND gearbox swap into a Puma and I can say it is well worth it - the torque difference is massive and the car just keeps pulling right through 6th gear - it helps that all up weight is 900Kg and I have a lot more to lose as I have a fibreglass bonnet and polycarb windows yet to fit plus a fai bit of extra cutting and lightening to do.

Also I've had this in stock for quite some time and thought when I put the ST rear disc conversion on it would come in hany so cables etc won't be a problem

Barry, came across this Milly as an MOT failure - £300 but has a private plate worth £500 - all it needs for test is a front coil spring and a fuel tank plus two very very small holes in the rear inner arch - usual spot Fuel tank arrived today for £48 and I have the spring all ready to fit this weekend

Hi Nick
That sounds really good especially if the sills and all the areas around the rear beam mount are sound. That fuel tank was cheap but it looks like the generic photos on Ebay where the breather outlet is at the wrong angle. Still it's easy enough to get around that.
Barry

haven't tried it or checked acually ordered it from Andrew Pages via the reg number but as you say its an easy fix - I suspect its a Fiesta tank at that price.

Car is really solid all round - there is a lot of light surface rust underneath but light enough that you can just wire brush it off by hand - I will get round to cleaning it all and undersealing. The chrome off the tail pipe is all rusty as is the whole exhaust system but its all as a result of being stood for so long.

The drivers side rear arch has obviosly be repaired at some point but not very well - there is evidence of overspray on the inner arch but its started to bubble - passenger side is solid though and hasn't been touched.

Only other issue is the drivers window gets stuck coming up but thats an easy fix - drives like a brand new car, gears are really tight and crisp and there isn't a single rattle or buzz or anything - got loads of history with it plus all the manuals just a shame its not numbered

Hi Nick
Is that trade through the garage or normal price as I've been meaning to buy one just to store it? That Millie sounds a REALLY good buy especially if the front seats are good and there's minimum rust. If the arch is bubbling it's probably a filler repair rather than a welded repair so I suppose you'll be doing the right thing when you repair it :)
Barry

Good to see an update on this so soon Nick, IIRC on Facebook you mentioned about the ST170 being relatively easy to take to 200, have you done that...or is that an update to come? :grin:
Greg.

Barry,yes thats trade price but I believe non trade is around the £65 mark - seats are pretty good and yes I agree obviously a pod repair - will be doing it properly later on

G - Whizz - not done anything else yet you are up to date as to where I'm at - I need to get it reliable on the clutch front and sort the brakes out first, once I get the driveability back I will start learning to drive it again and then we will see about upping the power.

Back