Stalling when reversing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ventzaq

Hi !

My stalling issue ( seems most Pumas end up with one sometime in their life ) seems to be when manoeuvring, reversing into a parking spot.

When staionary and I move the steering wheel the engine revs fall, then recover, but when reversing sometimes they seem to fall and not recover, and engine stalls

I have cleaned the IACV but no change

Hoping that after looking through stalling posts on the forum that this problem may relate to something obvious ?

If not anyone have any pictures of what hoses I should check for splits etc ?

regards
kevin

Have you checked your power steering fluid level, and the wires to the power steering pressure sensor which is located low down behind the radiator on the drivers side ??

Hi !

Checked the power steering pressure switch, and though the wires enter the connection at a tight angle the wires don't seem loose after gently pulling. I'll take the connector off and clean the contacts weekend or tomorrow

I'll check the fluid level tomorrorw as well

Thanks
kevin

One of my wires broke inside the tube of the connector so even though I was looking for the problem because the other wire was connected they both looked intact.

6896125965_6b01be8198_m-1.jpg

Hi !

Fluid level fine

[quest63] I'll check the connector in more detail in light of what you'v'e said. How on earth did you manage to diagnose that ?

regards
kevin

If you have one of these broken it can cause stalling or over revving probs (maybe dependant on which wire of the two broke) I had over revving probs and it was driving me nuts so I was well motivated to find the prob. I searched all the threads here and on the other site on sticking revs and came accross the broken wire thing. I believe the ecu thinks you have no power steering fluid when one of these wires breaks, and so ups the revs to create more pressure (my theory anyway).

I think I initially found it on the other site actually.Like I said though even though I was looking for it I missed it first time

I guess yours could be other things but steering seemed to stand out in your original post

Not picking fault Quest, but I don't think it really matters which wire is broken.

If the ECU sends a current down one wire, and the other is broken, the ECU won't get a return signal, and visa versa.

I believe the system works by the pressure in the steering fluid increases as the wheels are turned, to it's maximum on full lock.
If one of the wires is broken, the ECU won't get a return signal from the pressure sensor, so the ECU thinks the steering system is at full pressure (or full lock) therefore upping the revs to compensate for the extra engine load.... which we know isn't really there. Hence why we get over revving...
Bearing this in mind, I would assume the pressure switch is 'normally closed' going to 'open' when the pressure increases which would be the same as a broken wire....

On the other hand, I could be talking a load of old dogs mess!

EDIT: Suggestion to original poster... you could remove the plug to the power steering pressure switch, then start the engine. Without getting yourself tangled up in moving parts, bridge the pins in the plug (on the wire) together and listen to see if engine revs change.
IF my theory on how the system works is correct, when you bridge the pins in the plug, the engine revs should drop then rise again when the 'bridge' is removed.

I defer to a sparks on matters electrical obviously,your dogs mess is smellier than my dogs mess lol. I guess I was looking for a reason for the same fault causing the opposite symptoms in different peoples cars i.e. some over revving some stalling.

quest63 said:
I defer to a sparks on matters electrical obviously,your dogs mess is smellier than my dogs mess lol. I guess I was looking for a reason for the same fault causing the opposite symptoms in different peoples cars i.e. some over revving some stalling.
I get what you mean... if the power steering pulls the engine down, while the clutch is biting and there's not enough revs, it could certainly lead to a stall..

Rather than a new thread..

Mine sometimes wants to die when I'm pulling into a parking spot at work - the slow speed seems to be an indicator, aways when turning wheel... It hasn't ever stalled but i have noticed the power steering fluid is low, can i just top it up with halfords special?

The other part is when i come out of work it sometimes, esp when cold, really over revs with clutch dipped - as i wait for the barrier it can be over 2k for example but it never does this in normal driving and is gone quickly?

hi !

As an update mine is also overreving now to around 2k just after starting and almost stalling when cold now'. Guess I need to clean the IACV again ?

any temperature sensors I should look at ?

regards
kevin

hi again !

I see mention of a rubber seal near the ICV. where is this as all I saw was a metal triangular gasket between the ICV and the engine when cleaning the ICV . any picture ?

regards
kevin

Hi

Air blanking plug seems ok. The threads on the air filter holder have gone though, so hopefully related to my problems as
The whole cover is only held down by its own weight !
Put some plastic in the holes and seems to tighten up now, see how it goes

Regards
Kevin

Hi everyone.

Thought I'd post an update

Changed the air filter ( old one was smaller - housed in some metal frame ).
Fitted a new TPS and cleaned the contacts on the connector
Battery disconnected for 30 minutes

and so far 2 weeks later no sign of the problem ( which also happened at traffic lights )

I would have seen it with the morning temperatures recently so might actually be fixed : hopefully not jinxed it with this update !

thanks to everyone for the suggestions and people on other threads on similar problems

Back