Strange drum brake noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys, I can hear a noise coming from the rear when I apply the breaks, I'm guessing it's from the drum brake :roll: , but it only happens 1-2 out of 10 times, but when it does its so loud, its like I'm dragging ironman underneath the car..its really loud. Sometimes when I hear that noise and let the brake go and apply the brake again, the noise isn't there anymore. Mot was done few months ago, they did brake a adjustment, but said nothing about anything else.
How can I remove the drum brake cover to have a look at then? Is that difficult? Thanks

Recommended way to remove drum is to remove the 4 bolts that hold rear hub assembly on to axle,(this avoids taking the hub nut off) but be aware that as the self adjuster holds the shoes tightish against the drum you may have a struggle to get them off, especially if there is a ridge on the drum, persevere and with a bit of wiggling they will come off (if you choose to lever them off do so carefully to avoid damage to back plate and do it in small bits from one side then the other)
Does sound as though you may be down to the metal on one or more of the shoes
MOT man is only concerned that they work, which with adjustment they obviously did and as they were quiet at the time he would look no further.

I've just had a look at the previous mots and way less than 1.5 years ago, new front brake pads and new rear brake shoes were fitted. I drive my Puma around 15 miles a day only, so can either of the brakes so worn already they make such a noise sometimes?

Might only be rust from the drum but you are still going to have to look, wear could happen quite quickly as well if a cylinder was slightly sticky, or the handbrake is a bit tight etc etc, sorry pal drum will have to come off

zinc2000 said:
[post]362107[/post] Might only be rust from the drum but you are still going to have to look, wear could happen quite quickly as well if a cylinder was slightly sticky, or the handbrake is a bit tight etc etc, sorry pal drum will have to come off

Okay, thank you.

Latest posts

Back