strange one regarding petrol

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy1980

hi there, bit of a strange one. about three-four weeks ago the pumas rear brakes seized leading me to park it up on the drive and leave it until a couple of days ago when i eventually sorted the brakes. when i parked it up im sure that it had over a quarter of a tank of fuel in as i had put £30 in the day before. i come to take it out for a test drive and the fuel light is on with the guage showing just over empty? ive been all round the car checking all the pipe work/ breathers etc and can find no evidence of any fuel leak. the only thing i can think is if there is a hole/holes in top of tank and the petrol has evaporated? trouble with this theory is that ive just been under the car right up by the tank and can smell nothing? any ideas?

car is on a slight slope,but i went for a drive and it didnt even up. if fuel sender was stuck open i assume the engine would be flooded, but it started no problems?

Have you got a locking petrol cap? maybe someones had it away with your petrol

You could fill it up again and park it exactly the same way and then check for leaks

if fuel sender was stuck open i assume the engine would be flooded,

The fuel sender just sends a signal that causes the guage to react to any given level, it doesnt send fuel.The fuel pump pumps fuel.

The sender is for the level and supply, with it being injection it shouldnt flood the engine. The level doesn't go back up untill it's reset, the car is turned off, the slope will cause a fluctuation in the level, try parking the other way round if it's facing down the slope park it facing up and visa versa.

Within the context of his question i.e him theorising that a fuel sender being stuck might flood his engine my answer is I believe correct the fuel sender doesnt send fuel and whether it theoretically is stuck and showing empty or is stuck and is showing full it wont have any effect on supply.

The pump and sender can come as one unit,and they can come seperately but imo the sender does not have anything to do with supply

have got a locking cap so dont think its been nicked. howeasy is it to drop the fuel tank off? want to check the top of the tank for any holes etc.

I'm with Martin on waiting to see if its a stuck sender float rather than actual petrol loss,and trying to park it the opposite way round as suggested by Ginger Tom before dropping the tank.

I would think its more likely if it has a leak (if) that it would be a leaking rusty seem round the middle rather than evaporating from a hole in the top of the tank.

The tank is held by four bolts 2 each corner at the back and 2 in from the corners one each side at the front, I think the drivers side one may be behind an exhaust heat shield.You'll need to get a spanner on the nut on the back of the bolts as they will spin otherwise.Use a pad and a jack to lower it carefully.A second pair of hands wont do any harm either.Carefull as when you lower it there are the electrical connectors for the pump / sender unit and petrol pipes.

fuel evaporates really quickly....hard to spot a leak. should def smell it though

check all of the quick release hose clamps; iv had a few that leak, especially if knocked

put some more fuel inand thefloat rose as normal, really dont understand it. havent noticed any leaks still sobit baffled. does smell sometimes through the heater vents but i put this down to the fact that i have a leak out of the rocker cover. willjust have to seee how it goes

right, ive sorted this one now. the fuel filler cap hasa rubber ring to make the seal, this is worn and isnt making a verygoodseal ( no hissing when removed ). can you buy this ring from ford? or is it a new cap job? cheers,chris

Latest posts

Back