Suspension query

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumaperson

After replacing a front shock absorber - and with everything tightened up - I notice there is a gap between the top of the suspension turret and the rubber tyred component just above it (see pic.). I checked the other (existing) ‘shocker’ on the passenger side and it has a gap too, though not quite as much. If the car is jacked up and the wheel is suspended the gap can be closed by forcing the wheel downwards. My question is should there be a gap at all ? Has one developed over the years by the compression of the rubber components - particularly the big ‘bung’ on the underside of the turret ? If there shouldn’t be a gap I thought it would be possible to close the gap by grinding some metal off the upper rubber’s metal sleeve (?) Thank you for any responses.2A19A0FF-4B0E-46F5-8FD9-E6841D094091.jpeg

There should be a gap, around 5mm. I'd put this down to old worn strut mount. It's best practice to replace when fitting new struts, they're already off the car and they're Cheap to buy.
This is what I pulled off mine when replacing. You can see the difference between the old on the right and new on the left.2473-b95a1a6ec609ecb6d0b1aa613a70cb23.jpeg

There should be a gap, around 5mm. I'd put this down to old worn strut mount. It's best practice to replace when fitting new struts, they're already off the car and they're Cheap to buy.
This is what I pulled off mine when replacing. You can see the difference between the old on the right and new on the left.View attachment 10932

That's a huge difference, they went from being a toaster to a kettle!!! o_O:devilish:

I'm fairly sure this is how it is designed, and is there not a gap on the rears too?
No plastic cover for the damper weight ?

I think a few years back when I changed my front top mounts , the cheapest then was GSF( So worth checking their website for current prices). I had a similar difference between old and new as posted above. That was picked up at the MOT as excessive play in the top mount.

Back