Tape ecu swap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillzy2k

This has probably been mentioned somewhere already but I cannot find a definitive answer so here goes.
As a recent addition to my puma fleet I have an X reg 1.7. With twin Lamda setup. I've fitted new engine, cambelt and gearbox, while I was there I slung on a milltek evo system that was laying around. I've as yet to wire the lambada up as they need extensions etc. tbh I can be bothered right now. It's been non stop rain and I don't fancy laying in a puddle. Do enough of that at work.
I want to fit a TAPE Ecu.
I know the proper way is to swap the engine harness and front loom, and I have one sitting around too. But that too seems like more than enough effort for today.
Put simply, does anyone know if I can just swap to a TAPE ecu and key, without having to change the loom. Are many pins different?
As you can guess I'm feeling very unmotivated at the mo. Mainly due to the weather.

as far as I know, you can just plug in the tape ecu. the only pins that are different should be the temp gauge, but i belive that that is only when swaping on a car whit analoug gauges.. :)
as far as the second lambda goes, it is not used on the tape ecu, so it won't be missed, if you know what I meen :)

Somone with more knowledge then me might corect me, but that is what I firmly belive to be true :)

I have a DIVE fitted, the previous owner had fitted a freeflow manifold.
this means the ecu wants a signal from a Lambda which is no longer fitted..

There has been a bit of a d.i.y rewiring job on the ecu. I assume this is to trick the ecu into believing its still got 2 lambdas.
I'll try to get a pic to show what's been done (it may save you having to do an ecu swap.
Stu..

Just to clarify, I've a late, 2 Lamda car. I've not as yet checked to see what ecu it has. I've got a remapped TAPE ecu which I wish to use. Will the TAPE ecu be compatible with the late spec loom?

The way to tell at a glance which ecu is lurking under the dash is to count the lambdas!

On a later car, the DIVE has two (green & blue plugs), the TAPE just has the one (black plug)
You'll have do the pin swap thing for your temp guage to work, as covered in other threads,

Other than that, the car will run fine. :cool:

I changed my Dive to Tape ECU. First problem was temp gauge, solved by changing 75 and 80 pins as written here
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26885&hilit=dive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it is the only difference but there is 1 more thing. When i used VCM IDS diagnostics, i've found a message like "91 ron fuel is set". I've found that all cars before later 2000 (dive) have 30A FUSE in BJB called Octane Corrector.
It goes to ground from one side(BROWN\YELLOW) and to ECU pin 30 WHITE/BLACK. My car as all DIVE and later cars dont have this fuse in BJB and theres no wire from ECU to BJB. Going to take ecu out, and make a 30 pin to ground wire with 30A Fuse.
To be continued...

yes just unplug the unused (post cat) lambda and swap the pins

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back