temp' exhaust patching

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Okay - as mentioned in my creaking suspension thread, had to crawl under car today to have a look at the exhaust anyway.

This is the problem there...

crackedbox.jpg

There is a split/crack along the seal in the back box.. and

a bit of a hole in the other side of the back box. If I poked and wiggled my finger on that rusty patch I could make a substantial hole...certainly in the middle bit, large enough to get my thumb through.

boxhole.jpg

Had a look along the rest of the exhaust and it is fine & dandy.
Plan on doing a stainless system in the fullness of time... but meantime

a) would some of the patching gam/paste/resin and or tape be any use to buy me some more time?

b) could I do stainless backbox at the moment - and get rest of system added on in time.. (even though that would be more expensive)?

c) For all it would cost - replace the backbox with a 'normal' run-of-the-mill one for now and get the stainless system in a couple of months?

cheers, 8)

Is it actually blowing out those corroded bits? There's 2/3 skins on the OEM backbox, so it might look pants, but won't be blowing holes.

There are backboxes about by Timax that are about £30 odds - pretty ugly but do the job from kwik fit and the like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Puma-Rear-Ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ms=65%3A12

You've done well to keep the OEM fit one going until now!

If you've not got an MOT before the stainless system arrives, then maybe some patching gum might be worth a go just to make it a bit quieter.

Dal said:
You've done well to keep the OEM fit one going until now!

If you've not got an MOT before the stainless system arrives, then maybe some patching gum might be worth a go just to make it a bit quieter.

I thought it was the original, but wasn't sure.... I have only had the car since December. But, all in all, it seems to have been well cared for despite a scant service history when I bought it... even the couple of small rusty bits I have noticed are just cosmetic, and I will get to them later in July, before Ford Fair is the plan.

It's definitely blowing from somewhere... and those are the only weaknesses I can see.

It's just had its MOT about a month ago and passed fine, with an advisory about the start of 'leak of exhaust gases'.

May have a go with the gum then.... think Halfords do the gum and some tape for about £4 each... wont break the bank, even if it turns out to be a total waste.

For a SS backbox you're looking around £150, or for full SS cat-back system around £300-£330.

I'd just get a SS back box if the rest seems ok.

But then a stainless steel system only has the back box (in general, like a Milltek only has the one box) so getting just a back box now will limit you getting the whole thing later perhaps? I don't know if a company will just sell you the bit from the cat to the back box in stainless?

Dal said:
But then a stainless steel system only has the back box (in general, like a Milltek only has the one box) so getting just a back box now will limit you getting the whole thing later perhaps? I don't know if a company will just sell you the bit from the cat to the back box in stainless?

True, but if the main pipe is in decent condition its not an issue. And...it v much depends how long he'll have the car. ALl good and well replacing that but if it doesnt need replacing yet and he'll have sold it shortly then it's not necessary. Just depends.

Depends if you want / need a straight through stainless system (With one rear box) or just want a stainless system for anti corrosion properties with two boxes I suppose.

Geez.... I found my own post when running a search about replacing the back-box :lol:

It had gone through an MOT at the time of this original post/thread.. and it has just gone through another - with the same blowing exhaust. I am finally deciding to do something about the back-box.

In theory a stainless system right through would be nice, but I think I will save that for my next Puma. Meanwhile I can see a replacement back-box in my immediate future (along with a pair of wishbones).

Back