The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally wrestled it on. The other side just slid straight in nice as you like. :roll:

So one side took well over 2 hours. Other side, just over 15 mins.

Now to the rears...

just out of curiosity did you have all the front end jacked up when you struggled with the first one or just one side jacked up?

I bet there was a greater sense of satisfaction with the tricky one :-D

Great thread !

Just read the whole thing, am not too far from you either (Gatwick). I have had the same fun at the Pease Pottage scrap yard so feel your pain !

Cheers Roscoe and I'm glad you enjoyed my inept abilities at spannering! :lol:

I've rarely done well up at Pease Pottage! They're quite a mardy bunch!

So today's progress;

Front on and looking good...

fronts_done_zps13aa0669.jpg

Rears removed! Came off well!

rear-shcoks-off_zpsc5a58a84.jpg

Shocks removed ready for stripping;

rear-shock-removed_zps311b675e.jpg

Also had a visit from YOG who came by to see if I was crying in a corner, hugging my knees and rocking back and forth yet. I'm glad to say I wasn't for once. :)

Grabbed some time to build up these beauties last night!

pair-of-beauties_zps1df1ada5.jpg

The old shocks were knackered. One you could barely compress and refused to return again and the other took a good few mins to extend fully again. :eek:

Looking back, it's testimony to how good the handling is on a Puma that, when I got the car, I considered the handling to be superb. That was with all four shocks destroyed, knocking rear beam bushes, a rattling wishbone and a snapped spring! :lol:

It should handle shockingly well when its all done, probably feel like a different car altogether.

Just had a delay in my purchases due to the UNSCHEDULED SUICIDE OF MY FRACKING HCV

will get there though :-D

Ive got a shiny new HCV fitted to the car now......just cant get much of a kick out of it though...its just so uninspiring

at least it happened local and didnt mess me up too much and the dealer had one in stock so alls well that ends well.

Aaaaaannnd, finally finished!

Rebuilt rear struts went on a treat and I love the ride height. Not too high and not too low! :grin:

Here's a similar shot from ages ago to compare;

Puma_spring_11_2.jpg

And now;

Lowered_30mm_zps8c3df222.jpg

It's well worth the effort! It's exactly how I wanted it - not obviously lowered but less pram-like.

It's amazing what a difference 30mm makes but sitting in the car does feel a lot lower than it did.

Everything fitted perfectly and bolted up nicely too which is a bonus.

I can't comment on how it drives as I have no Tax at the moment. But soon..... :cool:

Cheers all, much appreciated!

Lots still to do (or get done).

Needs tracking up after the work done, needs a cambelt, the rear brake lines are in a shocking condition (not a job I fancy although I'm told it's not that difficult), the interior is dank and there are some scabs of rust on the bottom of the sills just starting to make themselves known. Also could do with lots of underside work to halt the surface rust.

However, I need to remember to drive it plenty to remind me why I own it!

Some nicer dusk shots... Yes, I know the Tax disc is out - I'm waiting until the start of next month before I get it.... It feels like a long wait!

Dusk_shot_2_zpsd403c7e2.jpg

Dusk_shot_1_zps48d4abee.jpg

Dusk_shot_3_zpse140c516.jpg

Back