The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ewizzy said:
Someones 10pence piece in the back :?: :idea:
It wouldn't be Questy's. He'd never leave anything of monitary value in someone elses car even for a gag... :)

The bushes were done a couple of years ago so I can't imagine they've degraded that quickly but you never know! If I had to describe it, it sounds like something on a length of string knocking against a panel.

Having said that, the rear beam would be a logical suspect as it only happens when the car is moving... Hmmm...

Shouldn't go after a couple of years though

What about one of the rear shock bushes?

Again, done a few months ago. The suspension is all new on all four corners - shocks, springs, top mounts etc. It'll be something daft, but I'm determined! I'll have someone pin-point it when I get the chance.

The Arch Bishop said:
ewizzy said:
Someones 10pence piece in the back :?: :idea:
It wouldn't be Questy's. He'd never leave anything of monitary value in someone elses car even for a gag... :)

The bushes were done a couple of years ago so I can't imagine they've degraded that quickly but you never know! If I had to describe it, it sounds like something on a length of string knocking against a panel.

Having said that, the rear beam would be a logical suspect as it only happens when the car is moving... Hmmm...

Have you actually checked for something dangling on a piece of string :-D

Jegger's not had a great deal of use recently but I've been doing the odd trip here and there. Gearbox is getting randomly worse - sometimes fine for the day, sometimes dealing out a flurry of scrunching missed 4th to 5th changes (usually when there are people about to hear it or during a lazy overtake for maximum inconvenience). I think I may actually have to actually change it soon.

I'm planning to SORN Jegger over the winter and remove the gearbox and replace it with one that works. I'll also replace the clutch and driveshafts. Oh and sort that annoying rattle!!

I also need to revisit the water ingress thing again. It's not been a problem for a long time now but tonight, the inside of the windows were absolutely drenched.

I almost bought another Puma this week from another forum member 'FordFan'. Lovely chap by the way! I was undecided as to whether I needed another so left it to fate and said that I'd be around to see it at the weekend if it hadn't already gone. Fate did the right thing and the car went to someone who actually needed it so it all worked out!

:lol: :lol:

I'll have you know that Jegger's with me at work today! Although the heater's packed in again so I really do need to fit that HCV that I've been meaning to do for years! Flipping freezing this morning!

Nothing much going on at the moment but have been stockpiling parts for a proper going over come the Spring.

Thanks to Mr. Questy, I have a collection of plastic in a box! Basically, some tailgate trim, Pollen filter (mines missing several shards of plastic) and another airbox to convert into an FRP rep one.

Thanks to Ian, I have a second-hand gearbox to replace my increasingly truculent one and a new heater panel (in case the new HCV doesn't fix the lack of heat through the vents ).

Will be looking to buy some new drive-shafts, a clutch and possibly new gearbox mounts (other than the dog-bone one which is still pretty new).

I'm also toying with going back to the standard Ford springs as I'm still not enamoured with the Eibachs to be honest. I love the lower looks, but if it ruins the car for me then they serve no real purpose. Jegger used to ride pretty well but the frequent bottoming out and jiggling about gets on my nerves when I'm not up for it. I'd rather sacrifice the extra grip I use 5% of the time for the better ride I use 100% of the time.

I must be getting old... :roll:

You need to buy my 50mm lowered springs, drive it for a month like that and then go back to the eibachs which will then feel like big squishy marshmallows wrapped in bubble wrap :grin:

I know I know.... but I like a car that handles and rides decently. The standard springs do both pretty well. I should know better than to modify at my age!

Just read through the whole thread.Top progress. There is always ups and downs with cars.

Glenn_ said:
Just read through the whole thread.Top progress. There is always ups and downs with cars.
Heh! Too right! Plenty of both in this project!

Fitted the heater panel from IanG today but still no hot air. HCV going on tomorrow so I'm hoping that sorts it! Otherwise I'll have to think about the thermostat next.

May be worth bridging out the HCV with two little lengths of copper pipe. Rather than joining the two pipes from the engin bay, you could remove the HCV then joint the pipes from the engine bay to the pipes to the matrix.
If you're pulling out the HCV anyway, may be worth a try to confirm whether you can/do have heating or not....

As for the suspension.... I'm running full poly bushes sitting on coilovers if you want to give that a try......!?
Saying that, it may knock your teeth out!

To be fair, I whacked the HCV on as a preventative measure anyway - it didn't take much effort. Took ages to get any heat out of it and eventually I found that the heat was only coming out when you put a few revs on. I guess there was some air in there initially. Took the car for a run and all is working as it should! :grin:

However, with the MOT due in a few weeks time, the airbag warning light has decided that this is a prime time to start it's seatbelt pretensioner Morse code again. I've done all of the usual with the connector and no joy. :-(

It's those ups and downs of ownership again!

As for the suspension.... yeah yeah I know.... I'm a big pansy... :lol:

That knocking noise is getting on my nerves... :evil: Decided to remove the passenger side rear trim and investigate! There were a few loose captive nuts and spring clips so gave them a pinch up and refitted. Better, but I can still hear it when turning left. No other trim rattles though!

Started giving the replacement gearbox a clean up as well. Boring work but least I'll be able to handle it easier.

gearbox_zps28cf9147.jpg

Still not a lot going on. Jegger's been SORN'd recently and was sat at the bottom of the drive looking miserable - covered in November grime and with moldering seats and steering wheel. :-(

Sunday was a lovely day, so once I'd cleaned my wife's (frankly horrifically filthy) Fiesta back to a showroom shine, I hooked up the battery and pulled Jegger up the drive for a scrub up. Only took a few hours and he's once again stunning and, more importantly, vaguely reflective.

I also cleaned the interior from top to bottom to get rid of the dreaded mold. I found water in the boot and the front footwells meaning it was kill or cure for the mats and the boot carpet. I stuck them all on a gentle wash in the washing machine which has brought them up well.

The amount of water I found has made up my mind that my first proper project this year is to strip out the dashboard and most of the interior. This will mean that I can have a crack at;

- The leaks coming from the bulkhead
- The sticking ventilation controls
- Cleaning the sopping wet carpets
- Drying out the carpet underlay
- Sorting out any rust in the boot or floor
- Inspecting the seat belt pretensioner wiring to sort the warning light

Hopefully, should be done by the time the Spring rolls around and I can start on the gearbox horrors...

Back