The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sadly reality has irrevocably crept in and I just can't find the time I'd like to continue. Jegger is in the for sale section for a measly (but fair I think) £550. Really going to miss the handling and the sweet engine. So far, it's the best driving car I've driven and I doubt I'll be able to resist if I get time to start again. I will Puma it up again in the future!!

For sale thread is here - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13984 sob...blubber...

Why the change of heart? You were doing pretty well with your Puma!

Good luck with the sale if you are 100% sure about it. Looks like a bargain.

The change of heart is being ruled by the head in this instance! My wife is on maternity leave and that means we're on one income at the moment. Couple that with the renovations to make the house a decent size for four and the poor old Puma's just going to end up sat on the driveway collecting spider webs which is something I don't like. It should be being driven even if it's by someone else!!

@slayllian, grab a train down to Brighton and come and buy it! You know you want to!! :lol:

AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! Why I am finding it so hard to sell this car?

The signs aren't good.

1. I seem to be putting off putting it on Pistonheads/Gumtree.

2. I found myself down Halfords on Saturday buying extreme brilliance bulbs for it.

3. Spent a happy ten minutes fitting said bulbs.

Does this sound like a man who has clearly made up his mind to sell a car?

None of this was helped by the missus wanting to skip off to the supermarket the other night. Grimacing when she realised that the Puma was last in the drive and having to drive it for the first time ever. Came back grinning. 'Well maybe we should at least try getting an MOT...' was her comment.

Oh my, cut out the takeaways or any other small indulgences and keep it. Oh, make sure the wife has to drive it now and again and you'll have no problems persuading her not to buy those shoes or handbag she'll never wear next time your dragged along shopping.....lol.

Takeaways? I dream of takeaways! It would mean I wouldn't have to do the cooking!!

To be fair, she keeps her shoe and handbag habits in check anyway! It's more my car and tool buying habits... :lol:

MOT day on Friday.... Cue Darth Vader's march music....

On a another tact, sorry for the total lack of pictures at the moment. I promise I'll try harder. Providing Jegger is not deemed fit for scrap obviously!

Woo! Yay! Jegger may yet live to see another day. :thumbs:

You never know... The sills are not too clever and the floor pan under the drivers feet is pretty scabby... still you never know... :shock:

Yep, if all goes well! Got to be realistic if repair costs are huge though. If this is the case, I may strip Jegger for spares and look for a nice solid one when funds allow. Prices are so low at the moment and Puma's will be future classics. Fast Fords that survive usually are.

Well, the results are in and...............................................................................

It's a failure! Parking brake ineffective on one wheel, exhaust has a major leak..... and this;

rust_1.jpg

And this;

rust_2.jpg

And also this;

Rust_3.jpg

Not unexpected. The local garage is quoting £374 to sort it all out (using the exhaust I have courtesy of YOG) and that would be patching the sills and the 'slap a bit of black paint about' style repair. I'm not a fan of the lash it up for another year approach so I've asked a chap I know with a body shop about replacing the sills entirely. He had a rough guess at £100 a side which is optimistic I think.

Decisions decisions..... :lol:

There is actually... Mates quote came in at £100 per side to replace the sills and paint so I'd be daft not to really! It's going to be a few weeks until it's done but if I can get all the work done for £300 then it's fairly cheap motoring.

Going to busy myself in the mean time and replace the rocker gasket. I think work is getting snarky about the little pools of oil on their parking bays! :oops:

If time allows, I'll also change the gearbox oil as 5th is a little notchy.

Now does anyone want a cheap Citroen C4 with naff all miles on it? Got to find a way of shifting the blo0dy thing!!

This weekends job. The rocker gasket...

rocker-gasket.jpg

Not the biggest or most difficult job but time is so sparse at the moment, it's the best I can hope for!!

Will get pics for those that love looking at cam shafts. :grin:

Got an hour of screaming child free time so it was off with the rocker cover...

rocker_cover_removed.jpg

On with the new gasket.

rocker_gasket_on.jpg

All sorted! Someone had been in there before with gobs of silicone to try and plug up leaks. Also bunged up was the seal around the VCT solenoid. Does anyone know if this seal can be replaced properly?

Jegger has gone off for surgery. New sills, exhaust pipe fitting, anti roll bar bushes and a handbrake fettle...

Hopefully a week or two and I can have another crack at that MOT! :grin:

Latest posts

Back