The 911 replacement saga

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

As it's traditional to post 'replacement' threads, I thought I'd echo here what some will have seen on FB.

The first guy to view the 996 bought, though it took a while for that first viewing, something like four months from advertising it.

Now I need a car for Mrs P, so I posted the following on FB

"I need a car for Sandra's daily commute. The (vague) parameters so far are 'sporty', 'economical', >£6,000 and < £8,000, not too small or too big. Scan the little ads and post suggestions here please"

It has been an interesting process, but I thought I'd let you chaps offer your suggestions now in case anything left-field appears.

Assuming you've already considered an FRP :grin:

not to small or to big, BMW 123D Msport
sporty, 204 bhp, 0-60 7secs,
economical, 50+mpg and £125 road tax

maybe not with this high a milage but just for reference.....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309208880310/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/1_series/make/bmw/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/keywords/123d/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/eh46qe?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good thought and ticks a lot of the boxes. High mileage is not a worry, but ugly is.

Considered the 1 Series Coupe in diesel which isn't quite so bad to look at, but regrettably anything affordable will have the N47 engine and until the timing chain furore is sorted that's a kind of Russian Roulette I don't fancy.

I think I would be looking at Audi's good chassis, refined but quick diesels, well finished, good choice of body variations depending on your needs etc etc.

Skoda? really as above as some have same chassis anyway. good ones may be slightly higher priced though.

Mrs P looked briefly at the A3 and the dismissed it. Nothing pretty at all in the Skoda range.

Newish mx5? Unless you need the practicality. Fiesta mk7 zetec s? Audi A1? They look very good!

Just a few I found after a quick scan on Autotrader using 6k-8k, less than 2 yrs old, less than 20k miles, coupe and 1.4 to 1.6 engine size.

Megane Coupe, Ibiza Coupe or how about an Astra GTC

Not as sporty but why not a newer shape C3 as I believe you've had good motoring from the older model.

The Astra GTC looks like a nice option. That one you've linked to look pretty neat other than the categorisation but that probably wouldn't put me off having a viewing if it were local.

Lots of good stuff above, thanks.

I have had a bellyfull of car hunting this weekend. Nearly 500 miles covered in total and still not a lot nearer a decision. I am not interfering in the decision in any way. Mrs XIIVVX was very supportive and didn't murmur when I spent £25,000 of our money on the Porsche, so she must now have exactly what she wants, all be it on a tighter budget.

The one positive is that we seem to have been able to get rid of the Mercedes CLC Coupe.

Detailing the suggestions, because she spend her commute on the A11 / A14 amidst the stream of Felixstowe juggernauts she really doesn't want a very small car, so the MX5 and MR2 have been discounted for that reason alone. Her best friend has a Leon, so she wants to steer clear of SEAT (Nobody said this was going to be logical!)

I have been guilty in trying to avoid some of the less desirable roads to travel down and I have been keeping her clear of General Motors dealerships. I guess she'll have to see the Astra Coupe some time though.

Currently the choice seems to be between two (or three) cars.

Alfa Spider /Alfa Brera, Megane Coupe.

What do these three have in common? Awful residuals. Which means they become secondhand bargains very quickly.

Things to do this morning, but I'll update the saga later.

Yes, but I fear they fall down badly on the 'economical' criteria. The Alfa will manage low 40s, the Megane about 60 mpg. The Hyundai will struggle to reach 35. With a 70-mile/day commute the difference adds up.

I'd really prefer she didn't go for the Alfa, as these days I am not sure low 40s is really good enough.

Ahh, I missed that Cat D on the Astra GTC. Wondered why it looked such a bargain but at the same time wouldn't stop me looking either as I think they're cracking looking cars and the 165bhp diesel option still floats my boat but won't be on my purchase list until the prices drop more.

Like the Spider/Brera too but still can't get past the reliability record of past models.

As above though, all mentioned cars so far have fairly big depreciation for first 2/3 years so a clean example should easily be possible for your budget.

I won't ask you to consider an R3 RX8 then eh?. 20mpg if your lucky is a bit optimistic to say it's in anyway economical but your wife would probably love the feel good factor it gives you :lol:

Thanks for that. Mrs XIIVVX expressed a liking for a Type R we saw at a dealership the other day. I'll look into it.

The Type R is a fantastic car but apparently the Type S diesel is quicker through the midrange due to it having a lot more torque

There would be no question of buying an R, just not frugal enough. But the fact that Mrs XIIVVX liked the shape is a good start for the diesel.

Not sure she'd know mid-range torque if it bit her :lol:

Type S Diesel is what I am looking to replace my puma with. This used car hunting is seriously doing my head in, so I can sympathise it is no fun anymore.

I test drove a Prius believe it or not what a strange drive that was. I was impressed with the new Fiesta ecoboost, that felt really well put together.

I don't do many miles and the dpf issues put me off of the majority of modern Diesels.

Back