The Green Beast

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yip it is pretty big, but looks great, car looks mean and more importantly hopefully I'm going to get some good results from it. I've cut the side skirts and just need to fit them, then start on the diffuser which I think will take a bit of work. All three aero parts should make her stick like poo to a blanket...in theory anyway!

Like what your doing, but have u thought about the problems u'll possibly have with the splitter coming up to a steeper than normal speedbump or incline?

I did think about that and I might have to plan my route to the track to avoid any speed bumps, there are none that I know of on the way. There is 150mm clearance underneath which I thought is probably higher than most speed bumps, but i does stick out about 100mm past the front. I will just have to be careful on steep inclines.

Its very secure, but still has some flex in it, worse case if it gets broken I can make another one now I have a template.

Morning All,

Its been a little while since I updated things on here, getting married seems to take up a lot of time! Anyway I'm back in the garage now and managed to get a few more bits done. The air box is made and fitted, also did a DIY job on my engine/gearbox mounts to stiffen things up a bit, fitted the oil catch tank and got a few other wee jobs done here and there.

The plan is to fit a duct in the bonnet directly above the box, hence the big empty space.

Might have to lower this a bit if the hoses rub on the bonnet.

I used Sikaflex 255FC to fill in the space. Properly cleaned everything first to remove any oil etc. The stuff pretty messy, but really thick and easy to work with. Filled in stages and left to cure in the sun for 2 days. Then baked in the oven on a low heat for a few hours. Its used for bonding windows etc. so remains flexible, but has a shore hardness of about 60. This should stop the engine moving to much. Did the same to the main engine/gearbox mount, but didn't remove it as its a pain! Managed to fill it pretty easily though.

Only a few things left to do now...

Fit New Front Brake Lines
Bleed Brakes & Clutch
Fit Side Skirts
Make/Fit Rear Diffuser
Fit Bonnet Vent
Fit Battery Box & Vent
Geometry Setup

Then she's good to go! Looking forward to taking her out for a blast!

Hi! and Beautiful Beast!
I've a question for you: how you have removed the air con pump, and what did you you use to replace it?
I'm in this situation and I dont know how I can do!

Hello,

I removed the air con pump and the power steering pump at the same time then replaced the belt with a fiesta non-pas/air con belt and fitted a manual rack. I had to space the altenator out a little bit to take up a bit of slack, but you'll see that in the previous posts. If you keep the pas rack you need you source pas bits from a non-air con fiesta and swap bits around, there are a few posts that cover this too. I decided against this and went a simpler route (sort of) but it depends what you want the car for, mine is purely a track car, so I'm not bothered about parking etc with pas, I just wanted good feeling/feed back.

Hope that helps.

Morning,

Made up a box for the original battery and fitted it in the boot. Not sure if its necessary but fitted a vent to where the spare wheel carrier hook used to be just to let any heat/gas out.

When this battery gives up I'll replace with a race one.

Got a few more bits done today. Fitted the bonnet pins, a job I've been putting off for ages! Also cut the hole above the air filter for the naca duct to fit, still need to paint it though. That should get lots of nice cold air direct into the air box, I think it looks pretty mean!

Looks great! Can i ask what you used to cut the holes for the vents? Everyway i think of would warp or burn the surrounding metal

Cheers :grin:

I made a template and marked the shape out on the bonnet, then used a drill to make enough holes until I could get a jigsaw through with a metal cutting blade to cut out the rest. It worked pretty well, but doesn't have to be perfect as the vents cover any rough bits. A word of warning though, wear ear plugs as its pretty loud!

Holes in the corners and jigsaw on the straights! You could put holes all the way around, but it would take a while.

Thanks! Yeah i want es cos vents, i have acess to a plasma cutter but i dont want to burn the paint

Yip I'd be careful with the paint using a plasma cutter, but might be ok, depends on the overlap of the vents. The bonnet is pretty thin so it won't take much to get through, someone is bound to have done it already.

Cheers, yip it's looking good, I'm pretty pleased with the end result, just a shame it's heading into winter now and I'm not going to get much use out of it. Hopefully we'll get a few dry days yet though!

Looks like a great project :eek:k:

BTW if you want to make your pictures larger from the gallery, just edit the tags with a full before the album bit:

Code:
[GALLERY=media, 4466][/GALLERY]

to

Code:
[GALLERY=media, 4466][/GALLERY]

Thanks, I'm looking fowards to using her now after all the hard work! Just an MOT and she's good to go!

I didn't know that about the picture size, will do next time.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back