the latest plans

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

023 is running sweet, now on 90,000 miles, nitrous great although the display has lost its back light on the max extreme controller, dam annoying..got to decide if I want to fit a light turbo to her and boost midrange...
419 is getting welded this week
418 is going for a full 350 bhp upgrade...will need better brakes on the front, maybe 6 pot brakes...will see once she is up and running...
088 is still pending, she may get 419's engine.
the F3 engine is still pending..

turbo puma is going up for sale next week, I changed the hispec brakes for the mondeo st220 brakes and drilled and grooved discs and she stops without a waobble insite...cleaned her up a bit and now she is runnign sweet am happy to pass her on I have had my fun in her...she is a lovely car to drive...and I just love the looks she gets and the twin exhausts but I am stndardising on the FRP...
selling pumaspeed too. arches are bad with rust but she runs sweet and has a full leather interior now...lovely...but no good for me anymore as I am using the subies for runabouts from now on...even if they dont handle as well as the std pumas...

yes, and I love them so much I would have more..

std they are just too slow...so am looking for more power..

mines is getting turbo'd in a few weeks, it should have came with atleast 200bhp std, id buy one but for the same price i could be getting a evo or a scooby, so i'll keep my puma and turbo it :)

how much you selling your turbo for ?

are you having a decompression plate fitted and what boost you going for...

without a decompression plate the engine wont take more than 6 or 7 psi boost...I am running 7 and its a bit iffy, would prefer 5 for full safety...will likely turnit donw to that for the next owner...ideally the next owner will fit a 2mm decompression plate then you can boost to 12 psi easily...

she gets 180 bhp on 5 and I would reckon 200 on 12 psi but, the engine lasted less than 500 miles before a ring went...

not really sure about price I dont normally sell cars but I have so many right now its time to shift a few...i really enjoy driving mine as its got better low dwon go than any of the frps, even nitrous one, out and out its a bit slower than nitrous but thats ragging them both...I would like to get a million pounds and I must have spent over 2000 on it new engines x 2 new turbo, new brakes and second hand calipers, pads wheels radiators and all sorts of other bits and pieces to make it reliable again...

the ap coilovers make for a firm but pleasant ride its almost as good as the frp handling wise...an it is sure a looker, gets ll sorts of looks...

I spoke with Quaife today adn they say their gears will handle the 350 bhp no problem at all but the ford bearings might not...and I suspect that is the case with all of them,,,and maybe the synchro will fail......so first pass is box without any changes and no lsd...

SteveRich said:
mines is getting turbo'd in a few weeks, it should have came with atleast 200bhp std, id buy one but for the same price i could be getting a evo or a scooby, so i'll keep my puma and turbo it :)

how much you selling your turbo for ?

I have a few scoobies, they are no where near the fun of the puma, no where near...they are fast and can go around bends well but the puma is better and more fun...

even with 280 bhp I would prefere my 180 bhp nitrous puma

You forgot to add never raced or rallied on your fleabay add !!

Simon
paulob1 said:

without a decompression plate the engine wont take more than 6 or 7 psi boost...I am running 7 and its a bit iffy, would prefer 5 for full safety...will likely turnit donw to that for the next owner...ideally the next owner will fit a 2mm decompression plate then you can boost to 12 psi easily...

she gets 180 bhp on 5 and I would reckon 200 on 12 psi but, the engine lasted less than 500 miles before a ring went...

not really sure about price I dont normally sell cars but I have so many right now its time to shift a few...i really enjoy driving mine as its got better low dwon go than any of the frps, even nitrous one, out and out its a bit slower than nitrous but thats ragging them both...I would like to get a million pounds and I must have spent over 2000 on it new engines x 2 new turbo, new brakes and second hand calipers, pads wheels radiators and all sorts of other bits and pieces to make it reliable again...

the ap coilovers make for a firm but pleasant ride its almost as good as the frp handling wise...an it is sure a looker, gets ll sorts of looks...

Blue3 said:
You forgot to add never raced or rallied on your fleabay add !!

Simon
paulob1 said:

are you running this on standards ECU or ftermarket ?

the conversion was done by van aachen and in 2002, it was done using a chip set that modified the feulling...no way to read it today but it fuels the car lovely.....well fairly rich but better than burning a hole in the piston...its a real neat installation...I was going to upgrade to a megasquirt but I never found the time to do it so its going...

i think i'll go the megasquirt way it doesnt look to hard to install, but how much is it to get one mapped ?

do the mapping yourself it isn't that hard and as long as you run her rich at the top end you will be okay...how much power are you chasing...I would say the std engine is good for 250-260 bhp maximum and no more and thats assuming its all good and you have a 2 mm decompression plate...I think you will find at that power it will breath a lot and eventually melt a piston or the rings...

lookin for about 180/190 without a decompression plate and later i will fit one and up the boost, but im gettin a company car so the puma is going off the road turbo and new arches the lot till its like new :)

ah okay you only need 5 psi then, if you use the saab turbo as in mine it spools up real quick and makes the car feel like it is on steroids, it has instant power from about 1500 rpm, fantastic, doesnt add much to the top end acceleration as you will need much bigger power for that but she will run to 140 mph easily...

dont just dont go any more boost that 7psi...if you run that amount of boost and rag it it will break...how many miles has your engine done...

i would go for a modified std exhaust manifold..I have a spare that I could loan you as a mule for some one to make you another...its not a difficult job, my welder has left the country so I dont have anyone who could do you one anymore.

Just noticed your in scotland...not so easy to just pop over then...

souds like you have a good project...

youve got the turbo flange welded on ? if you i'll buy it, if you haventgot a use for it

my engine has 101k! :L but this is my plan

i start a new job on monday with arnold clark
get my company car and put te puma off te road
fit the turbo and get it running good and basicly hammer it into theground
then buy a low millage engine and and fit tht and get all the turbo parts fitted
then bet all te body work done:)
and in the between all this i'll be selling vauxhalls and chevys :L

right my thoughts too, but they dont take much hammering with a turbo and an old engine....anymore than 5 psi and she will blow the rings and damage the bores...the tendency with the turbo is to hold the revs but the pressure does not help at high speed. at 12 psi the engine lasted less than 1000 miles, with 9psi it lasted around 1200 miles, with 7 psi so far so good its lasted over 1000 miles it still breathes a bit heavy at max revs but otherwise she is okay...i would think 5 without a decompression plate is safe 7 goo 9 crazy 12 way too much..

paulob1 said:
right my thoughts too, but they dont take much hammering with a turbo and an old engine....anymore than 5 psi and she will blow the rings and damage the bores...the tendency with the turbo is to hold the revs but the pressure does not help at high speed. at 12 psi the engine lasted less than 1000 miles, with 9psi it lasted around 1200 miles, with 7 psi so far so good its lasted over 1000 miles it still breathes a bit heavy at max revs but otherwise she is okay...i would think 5 without a decompression plate is safe 7 goo 9 crazy 12 way too much..

i dont think it helped not having a intercooler and it was only setup for 5 psi by van aaken which i guess that chip box you found was mapped for,throw more boost at it with no intercooler and lean fuelling i think the engines done well to last that long,i agree i wouldnt go anymore than 7psi without a plate but with a intercooler and the right fuelling it should be ok at 7

agree fully and we were going to fit one but had enough now and its now sold...going to focus on my 350 bhp turbo frp and the 290 F3 engined car...

418 plus the engine go to lightning motorsport for fitting out this week...dont know if it will be ready for the track day session but it might be...we will see..

got totally trounced by a mazda last nigh, it had some real go in it...even with nitrous i was hard pressed to keep up even with a few bends, roll on more power...still cant help but wonder if more power will spoil the car

paulob1 said:
...still cant help but wonder if more power will spoil the car

That would depend on how well the 'whole package' is setup i imagine...

good geometry and premium tyres certainly make a bigger difference than more "power" :idea:
How good are the bushes and dampers etc?

Chris

Back