The "Not road legal first Puma, first track car" project.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poomar

Hello!

Im relatively new on here but i thought id get off on an relatively interesting front and show you some of the early pics from my puma project. Ive never owned a Puma (or a ford for that matter) before but chanced upon a high mileage rotter for £350 so thought id take a punt and have a play with a few bits and bobs.

Ive not set a time frame and im not rushing at the project as im just experimenting and playing as i go.

So far:

- Ive done a significant strip (chasing out aloty of wires, drilling out spot welds etc etc)
- Polybushed the rear beam and tidied the rear brakes
- had help from a friend welding up all the holes.
- the main focus has been lightness so far. The bonnet and bootlid are just an outer skin. The internals of the bumpers removed etc. Doors to come etc.

Im just playing around as i say and i never know what im going to have a crack at next. Ive opted for a track only build for sheer focus and just because im kinda curious as to just how light i can make one of these things.

My current projects are to finish seal sealering the rusty bits and tick them off, and im also going to attempt to graft the outer lense of the light (as per pic) to the single bonnet skin (vented on nearside, solid drivers side) as a bonnet/fake headlights in one assembly my be quite unusual.

Still a long way to go. I need to fit my AP coilovers and ST brakes etc. but ill keep updates going as an when im anyone is interested :)

Nothing is fnished in the pics, more wires to come out etc. I quite like my dash :)

13623781-9E8F-414F-ACC2-648C76178C5A_zpsp2xrd300.jpg

7AEFF1F6-DE7C-45B2-A5E3-E3C99A5B2F9A_zpsuxtiqhwm.jpg

E0BD257D-1CE5-4887-AD1F-2553B08F1A3D_zpsiweqghme.jpg

Fibreglass panels may come in time. The bumpers weigh... Nothing now :)

The windows will be plastic and innards removed.

Generally anything without purpose will go.

I saved about 7kg chopping metal out of bonnet and bootlid.

No locks, latches, wiring.

Any wiring that isn't really related the the car functioning will go.

I'm basically doing as much as I can without spending money. I've paid out on.

Coilovers and brakes
Poly bushes, bushes and links etc.
Pins and bootlid springs.

I need to fit my cheap bucket and wheel
May try and get a decat manifold.
Need tyres and few little bits but the whole build shouldn't cost much more than £1000

I got two sets of ap coilovers for £80!!! :)))

I love track threads, and will be interesting to see how little you can get it to weigh.

Good work mate. I'm always looking for ways to save a couple of extra kilos and you've got some interesting ideas and tips there already. You will be amazed how much better the car is lighter. It makes a huge difference.
I would also say the decat manifold and exhaust are worth it if you have the budget, if for nothing more than the sound!
Keep up the good work!

just so everyone knows, im allowed to slag him and his car off because weve known each other for 16 years, we're best mates, share a workshop, i sold him the car and i did all the welding on the fucking heap :lol: :lol: :lol:

it was a piece of shite, but is certainly getting somewhere now. itll be very light. mines around 900kg and id guess even without fibreglass or perspex its got to be at least 50kgs lighter than mine, if not more.

hopefully itll be ready for a spin out before long.

Unfortunately I do know stumc :)

Sadly, with my Beemer needing several jobs, a couple of holidays and general peeing around the puma hasn't had anymore attention but that will change soon.

Latest posts

Back