Thunder Audio

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crackintackle

Good morning. I have a Puma Thunder (52). I am having trouble with the audio system. Cannot tune it into any radio station - no crackle, no nothing. Have put a new aerial on, since a barbery monkey bent it through 90 degrees. I do not have the gizmo that gets the radio out to check connections. Might sound off the wall, but can you still buy this audio system anywhere? Thank you.

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

I think there is more than one option of stereo you might have so it would be helpful to say what model you have.

Ian G one of our members might have one as might other members or there is always that auction site.

The gizmos to get the radio out are only about £3 iirc or you can improvise with a wire coat hanger.

Sorry, it is the type you load six CD's into the front of the unit. I have tried going through the menu assisted by the manual, but quite frankly it seems over complicated. Is there factory reset do you know.

That's the 6006E, standard fit for the Thunder.
Was the radio working OK before the aerial was bent? If so, sounds like the aerial base on the roof is not earthing properly, or you have corrosion on the screwed part where the aerial attaches to the mount, causing a bad connection.
The 6006E used to be available new from Ford for 100's of £'s!
Not worth buying, as this model is renowned for the CD part failing by jamming. Most people replace it with a 6000 model, which has a single CD player, but can allow either a separate multidisc player to be connected, or an adaptor to attach an Mp3 player etc.
You can get the 6000E secondhand from Ebay, or, preferably from Ian G (on this site) if he has one, as his will be tested before selling.
Eitherway, if your radio proves to be faulty, don't throw it away, as the 6006E contains the radio and CD player as seperate parts, and you may wish to transfer the CD part to a 6006E, which has a working radio, but faulty CD.
Here's what the 6006E looks like inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMjc2G7ZjQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks for that - much appreciated. I have had my car from new and I look after it religiously, so I must get this fixed one way or another. I will try the following first:

"If you've checked the aerial lead for resistance on the earth side and the aerial lead center for resistance and both are less than 0.5 ohms and both are isolated and the aerial mast and base are free of corrosion then the audio unit is at fault.

A self test facility is available, turn the audio unit on then within 3 seconds press preset buttons 3 and 6, release them and the unit will be in self test, use preset button 6 to navigate through the self test, the first check is the aerial signal, if no signal is shown and no station found and the aerial lead is ok this would confirm the audio unit is at fault"

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/5ng0m-ford-focus-estate-problem-ford-rds-6000-radio-my-ford-radio.html#ixzz3QmnwJkGs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that fails I will try and locate Ian G.

Many thanks.

Yog - I have just watched the utube clip, and it appears the same issue as I have - radio continues to scan but finds no stations. The chances of me following what that guy does to fix it - are zilch. Thank you so much for that though, I chuckled all the way through it.

May need Ian G sooner than I thought!

I tried the'diagnotic' test on my radio last night, and the response I got from pressing buttons 3 and 6 was, eg 4CH 108.5 - it scanned through the FM waveband, but returned 'nothing found'. I was not able to manouvre by pressing 6, so I did not get any diagnostics about the aerial.

However, I detected an 'electrical crackle' through the speakers, nothing major and only intermittent. The volume knob also started to act up.

I would really appreciate someone pointing me towards Ian G - I don't know whether to take it to Ford to fix, or bin it and start afresh.

Thank you for your advices.

Ian:

http://www.projectpuma.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where are you? Maybe a friendly local member to you could cast their eye over it - take it out perhaps - to make sure it's nothing daft like the aerial has come out the back.

If you can wait until Saturday, I'm may be over my daughter's house, probably after 2.00pm. It's just up the road from you, SS7 3YL, off the A129 Raleigh Road.
If you want to, you could bring your car round and we can swop our radios over to check whether it's your radio or aerial? I have the removal tools.
I'll know for sure later tonight and can PM you.
Let me know if you want to do this.

That would be terrific - I am near the common, so very close. Thank you so very much for the offer. Do you need my email address? - sorry, I have never been on a site like this before to know how it all works!

I'll PM you through this site. Look late tonight at "new messages", next to the envelope picture, front page, on the right-hand side,above:

View unanswered posts
View active topics
View new posts
View your posts

Back