To heatwrap or not to heatwrap?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

Well I discovered my sportex 421 had completely melted today, huge hole and cracked all around as the heat got too much and it was fully heatwraped which must have contributed.

I've obviously got to buy a new 421 and going stainless this time but will wrapping it bring it to an early death? I did the last time to reduce under bonnet temps (which I'm sure it did) with the slight bonus of getting gases out quicker through the exhaust.

I was in this quandry when I fitted mine a couple of years ago, a miltek system which I decided not to heatwrap. Touch wood I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever, no apparent heat sink into the cabin (despite being fully stripped out) no issues with lambda sensor wires even without a heatshield, and no issues with bonnet paint (again despite no shielding).

I understand the reasons why you would heatwrap, but I don't think I would have seen any benefits.

orchid66 said:
[post]351376[/post] I was in this quandry when I fitted mine a couple of years ago, a miltek system which I decided not to heatwrap. Touch wood I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever, no apparent heat sink into the cabin (despite being fully stripped out) no issues with lambda sensor wires even without a heatshield, and no issues with bonnet paint (again despite no shielding).

I understand the reasons why you would heatwrap, but I don't think I would have seen any benefits.

Cheers mate I'm thinking not to bother also, but will be used on track often around 7000+ revs so not totally certain

Heat wrap will kill it. I cut a few bits away from a standard heat shield for my 4-2-1. Just to protect a few things

Hi folks, just a quick question on the 421 manifold, I've removed the standard set up as it fell apart,( rust) but I'm not sure which 421 to buy, I'll need the full system but can't afford it all at once, so I was going to get it as funds become available, but not sure which type to buy that will fit together and I can buy in stages, as I've read you can't mix them. Just looking for some advice and where to go, puma build do a 421 for around £350. Not sure what the rest cost, I'm not racing, for road use only.

I am currently using a mild steel 4-2-1 with the rest of the exhaust being standard. It depends what you want from it really but I prefer this set-up over my stainless system for noise. I personally would go for mild steel for exhaust 9 times out of 10.

Latest posts

Back