Track Car Newbies 1998 1.7 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokercard84

:roll: Ok first of all hello to all.
My friend and I decided to dip our toes in the world of recreational Motorsport. Our closest racing circuit is 20mins away and other friends of ours have been doing it for a while. To cut the costs we decided to go 50/50 on the car. We toyed with the idea of something from Japan then with something european with a V6. Mondello park is about handling more than speed and power so After much deliberation followed by a last minute decision we found a black ford puma 1.7.. Lady owner No rust and drives perfect. 87k miles, Paid €450. Reasons we chose a ford was the obvious Motorsport heritage and readily available parts and hopefully being able to do most of the work on a driveway.
So we budgeted an extra €600 to complete a build we would be happy with..
Thus far we have got the following all waiting to be fitted
Full service Kit €70
OMP bucket seats and harnesses that we got from a super 1600 puma rally car. Had just gone out of date but good enough for us €300
Full set of OMP strut braces upper/lower front and rear €180 delivered
Boss Kit from Murray Motorsport €65
Racing Steering Wheel donated by a friend
60mm Lowering Springs Murray Murray Motorsport €105
16inch Fiesta St Alloys €120
Decals and Stickers to cover up a few paint imperfections €60

We recently took it out on a training day with no modifications other than it stripped out completely down to a driving seat. Put a massive smile on our face even though it resembled a moon buggy on stilts. We were surprised at the level of interest from other participants who all seemed to have a soft spot for the pumas. The engine didn't blow up so we're committed to having the build ready for a big track day at the end of July 2013..

Iv been reading threads on this site and there are some stunning examples of puma track cars and would love some help and advice with our build.

Ok so problems we've had so far

Fuel Starvation on hard left turns. Heard an easy fix is to check the filter and keep it over half full.

One wheel stud and lug have sheered on the rear wheel and is just spinning. Will not come off!! Standard wheel stuck on. Any advice??

The 12 spoke 16inch ford fiesta alloys look great but I think they need spacers front and rear to fill the arches a bit better. Any ideas on what we would need??

We plan a front brake upgrade. St 170 discs with Mondeo Callipers. New pads also. Seems to be the best straight forward upgrade.

Also exhaust and induction modifications are the subject of debate. Basically if we need to get the ecu done to get the best out of the upgrades.

As you can see the €600 budget is completely out the window but because there's two of us sharing the bills it's not too bad..

So any help or advice would be appreciated. Il throw some pics up as we go.. This car will never see public roads again so we don't need to worry about road legal issues..

Mondello park is a great place and a fantastic track! Lots of great memories of coming over and pit-crewing for the 24 hour 2CV races during the late 90's (although I may have only driven the circuit in either a Sprinter van or on a Honda Cub pit bike - I was pretty wasted on those weekends so I'm not sure).

Spacers for the rear are available in many sizes. Have a search on this forum for all the info you'll need.

Keep us updated as to how you get on!

http://m1290.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jokercard84/image_zps317d81f6.jpg.html?o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a few pics of where we're at now. Waiting on a family friend to fit the bucket seats for us. Can't do it for two weeks but it'll be worth it. We can spend the money we save on other bits. This weekend hopefully fitting the struts, new springs, spacers, decals and refurb the alloys. Maybe a good mop cut and polish too depending on the weather. Plenty to keep us busy. 4 weeks to the next track day.

Latest posts

Back