Trackday tyres? Advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Hello all

I know tyre choice is always a personal thing, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with different track biased tyres. Especially if they do regular trackdays. I know a lot of people will suggest the 888's, although as I need 4 this is a bit more than I really want to spend, considering I'm only likely to do a few trackdays a year anyway!

These are the ones I've narrowed it down to so far, although other suggestions would be welcome. Or any personal experiences with any of these would be good.

The size will be the normal 195 50 15

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/toyo-r1r?gclid=CJetzeDH3r4CFYXItAod1F4AuQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b1878s662p120612/Federal_Tyres_Trackday_Track_Day_Federal_595RSR_Federal_595_RSR_-_195_50_R15_82W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_G_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_72dB/RS_GB?gclid=CKCn5PzH3r4CFSjItAodxVQAIQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Yokohama-AD08/195-50-15?gclid=CMnR5ZPI3r4CFdMftAodAzgA3A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s662p109275/Nankang_Tyres_Trackday_Track_Day_Nankang_NS2R_Sportnex_Racing_Nankang_NS_2R_-_195_50_R15_82W_%28120%29_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks :grin:

Flying Scotsman said:
http://www.mrtyremotorsport.co.uk/dunlop-dz03g.asp

Get them in R1 Compound.

Cheers mate! Do you know how much they are as there's no prices on the site! :grin:

I was close to buying new and going for the NS2R's mate before opting for the part worn A048's I found.

Around £300 or less a set online and Jay recommended them highly if I remember rightly after using them on his track puma on here in 195/50/15

Hi!

Track day Tyre's.... was looking at buying a set of TOYO 888's.

Are the standard wheels the 195/50/15 and do I need the same size? odd question i know but just wish to make sure for peace of mind.

Sam

Hi all.
I have a dedicated track car and have racked up about a thousand track miles on a variety of tyres, now I'm no expert but here's what I have learnt.

Semi slicks are amazing. You can corner loads faster than with road tyres. But...
They cost the frigging earth (and get abused)
I picked up a set at a bargain price and wrecked them on my first ever trackday (hooning!)
Also, they can be iffey in the wet...
Road tyres are obviously cheaper and some, like the toyo t1r suit the track well in wet and dry, but they're a compromise.

I now buy Michelin Pilot Sports from ex Ginetta racers (only run for 1 race)
They are nearly as grippy as semis, but are equally good in the wet and wear really well.
Into the bargain they're only £125 a set delivered...

Puma_Sam said:
Hi!

Track day Tyre's.... was looking at buying a set of TOYO 888's.

Are the standard wheels the 195/50/15 and do I need the same size? odd question i know but just wish to make sure for peace of mind.

Sam
Yes standard wheel size is 195/50/15 so that is the size tyre you'll need. Hot pressure on 888 or Yokohama ao48 is 32/36 psi

trublustu said:
I now buy Michelin Pilot Sports from ex Ginetta racers (only run for 1 race)
They are nearly as grippy as semis, but are equally good in the wet and wear really well.
Into the bargain they're only £125 a set delivered...

Do tell me more about these, standard size? and how easy is it to get a set or two?

Thanks Stephen,

So how long are these 888's likely to last and if i stick a new set of boots on ready for my first trackday (October 1st at Cadwell - full day open pit) what kind of condition are they going to be in come home time?

hi Sam.
as I say a shredded a set in half a day.
But this was my first tome out and I had a absolute ball, there's still a few trackdays left on them but I really burned some money that day.
As I said I was hooning (very last second on the brakes and grinding out of corners.

Driving a little more sensibly a set should last s full season of 7-8 trackdays though there are different compounds from supersoft to hard so there are variables.

As for the Michelins, I bought them off a bloke on this forum, I'll bump the thread....

Ouch! now you might just have stopped me from getting a set... I HAVE to buy some very soon given I have booked onto Cadwell 01/10/14.

I just cant see myself driving anything other than flat out for as long as I can...which is a worry given what you mentioned above :!:

Its a very good idea to have a set of tyres for track use only, even if they are just road tyres, as theywill get hammered on track.
This means using a second set of wheels, but if they are for track use only, scruffy (cheap) wheels will do fine.
Using correct tyre pressures make as much difference as 'upgrading' semi-slicks.
As a 'track noob' id recommend Toyo T1-r's (or similar) running about 28/24 psi.

I take my road biased Puma on the track at least twice a year. I was looking for a good mix of road use, and track use even if it's wet. Read a load of reviews and ended up getting Continental Sport Contact 3's for around £70 per corner from Black Circles.

I've been really impressed with them. Don't get me wrong, they are not track focused or semi slicks, but the do the mix of what I want really well. I remember the instructor looking round the car at Cadwell, getting in and saying "now I know you've got good tyres on, I know how hard to push you". Within a couple of laps he'd shown me with the right line and confidence in the car and tyre that the speeds you can take corners at are incredible.

For me, I'd really recommend.

PS. I've got 16's, not 15's

AO48s on the back of my Exige can be wrecked at one trackday with 2 drivers trying hard. :-( .For a Puma i stick to a road tyre.Doesn't matter if you lap in x seconds or x +3 seconds a lap.The fun is still the same.

Latest posts

Back