Turbo'ing suggestions please ...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott134

Hi all,

I know there a few turbo butters on here that have tried just about every turbo combo so I wanted to ask for some tips.

I have a spare 1.7 engine on an engine stand in my garage and will be building that from the ground up to a decent spec. I've already decided it will be turbo'd with forged internals etc and have been chatting with Chris at LMS. I think the engine build will take me most of next year, ready for the 2016 track season hopefully. I want 250bhp+ from this build.

However, while that build is going on, I also want to try out the cheapest possible tubo conversion on my current engine to have a bit of fun with this track season, before my big build is done. Ideally, I would use some parts that can be carried over to the bigger build when the new engine is ready, e.g. Intercooler and piping etc but obviously the turbos will be different.

For now, what would you guys suggest for the cheap build - what turbo, intercooler, etc? I'm hoping to pick up what I need off eBay and, if needed, will ask LMS to make up a manifold and supply the decomp plate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year all!

What about something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221403385474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this from a Saab 9000?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271605162717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?

Hi Im planning on doing my conversion soon just getting all the final bits, id go with the saab 9000 or a 93. I dont really know enough about the other item to advise on it, but id go safe and then find more information and upgrade at a later time to a different turbo, as for intercooler id recommend this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-25-Universal-INTERCOOLER-COMPLETE-KIT-550x140x65mm-/191343623951?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c8cf7ff0f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that Lee. Sounds sensible. The inter cooler is like the ones I have been looking at but had no idea on sizes etc. that one looks good so will give that a try and then make it fit! Looking forward to seeing your build.

That's ok. I would say the inter cooler kit at that size is ideal (2.25) but then its preference really, if you are going to use a T25 it will be more than sufficient, Im hoping a few weeks for mine before i start. So what are the specs on the Lms build or are you just aiming for 250bhp?, how long before your have a budget one up and running you think?.

hey, the inter cooler above fits quite easily so its worth going with and as its name suggests its universal.

your idea of building up is similar to what i am trying to achieve, the ECU/management seems to be the most expensive part to it all!

Thanks guys. My big spec is not finalised et bit will be forged low comp Pistons, steel rods, LMS head and cams, turbo still to be decided. It will be on stand alone management at that point but I'd prefer to do my low boost set up with keeping standard management. I will prob add the management to that set up before introducing the new engine so will then just need setting up again.

As for the low boost set up, I'd like to get that done by the end of Spring in time for a summer of trackdays!

Hows the car corley? any videos? :)

Scott134 ... are you getting chris to do your turbo manifold? or you gonna have a go at making your own plate/manifold

I think I'll leave the manifold to Chris. It'd be a lot quicker than trying myself and will fit right! Plus I don't think the cost should be that much so worth leaving that to experts. Lol

yeah that's what i thought. That's why i will have mine done by chris lol. so apart from the budget build and big build got any other plans for the puma

Just trying to make it lighter really and I need a roll cage! I'm a bit obsessed with weight at the moment.

No, but I have some fibreglass bits from Kizza: bonnet is on, tailgate and Perspex rear window are waiting to go on. Last time I weighed it, it was around 920kg but have done a lot more weight reduction since then, including polycarb windows so should be around 900kg and still dropping!

Liking the sound of this Scott!

Hope it all goes smoothly, you'll end up with a proper animal once its all done.

Latest posts

Back