Tyre choice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fitted T1Rs on the rear of my Zetec S and it's made the car really skittish on the rear end, not impressed at all it always felt really stable on the old Bridgestones

I used to love T1-Rs, they're great in the dry and when warm but otherwise there are better tyres out there.

Yokohama AD08R- Brilliant , brilliant tyres, wet or dry. They are not "unstickable" but good if you can sense grips levels

Toyo R1R- Great, less sticky than the above but quieter

Toyo R888- Crap in the cold, but when warmed up, bloody amazing! (V Noisy)
Tested in a e36 318is and a mk3 Gti 16v Golf.

RDS1972 said:
[post]350699[/post] Yokohama AD08R- Brilliant , brilliant tyres, wet or dry. They are not "unstickable" but good if you can sense grips levels

Toyo R1R- Great, less sticky than the above but quieter

Toyo R888- Crap in the cold, but when warmed up, bloody amazing! (V Noisy)
Tested in a e36 318is and a mk3 Gti 16v Golf.
Can't see why anyone would run 888s on a road car.If there is any standing water you WILL aquaplane.Unless you drive them hard they will never get up to working temperature on the road and therefore never be able to use them to their full potential.Rainsport 3s are a perfect balance of grip wet and dry fairly quiet and give good feedback when the limit of grip is imminent.

888s seems to be OK for me. Even got caught in the rain last night after an outing in the car and seemed fine for normal driving.

I have medium compound 888s - they don't take too long to warm up with a few wheel spins through the gears, but keeping them warm is a little mor difficult.

Can anyone explain how the Rainsports work from a technical point of view? I never noticed it before but someone pointed out that as they are Directional but have a definite pattern they are going to work differently on one side of the car than they do on the other. At the very least the water will be dispelled in the wrong direction on one side by the looks of it?

Can anyone explain how the Rainsports work from a technical point of view? I never noticed it before but someone pointed out that as they are Directional but have a definite pattern they are going to work differently on one side of the car than they do on the other. At the very least the water will be dispelled in the wrong direction on one side by the looks of it?

Is this just a victim of the low price point? Not put me off them and they seem to be working very well just as they do on the other car I have them on.

gigglebug said:
[post]351223[/post] but someone pointed out that as they are Directional
I looked into this at source one a while back and amazingly they are Asymmetric. However, you are far from alone on this - http://306oc.co.uk/forum/printthread.php?tid=21330

There are even weirder tyres out there, as I found out. Short story, in a hurry, swapped 2 obviously asymmetric front tyres over. Guess who later pointed out to me that one of them was actually directional? Yep, *sigh* the MOT guy.

Easily corrected and no one was bothered, but inside this was me - :oops: Was a while ago, but I haven't forgotten those hot cheeks that day.

Cheers Frank. Good read. I'm not worried about them as they work really well, was just a but odd to see. I've had asymmetrical tyres on all my cars as I like them, thought the Uniroyals were the same to be honest but obviously not as it happens!

Can't see why anyone would run 888s on a road car.If there is any standing water you WILL aquaplane

Would nt have bought them for the car, but as they were on already, I thought I'd try them. Never used them with standing water, it's not surprising to hear about the aqua-planning.

gigglebug said:
[post]351222[/post] Can anyone explain how the Rainsports work from a technical point of view? I never noticed it before but someone pointed out that as they are Directional but have a definite pattern they are going to work differently on one side of the car than they do on the other. At the very least the water will be dispelled in the wrong direction on one side by the looks of it?
Im confused,are you saying that the pattern of the tread if viewd from the front is different on one side to the other?I.e the pattern is not mirror imaged on the axle?

I'll take some photo's tomorrow if I get the chance, it'll be a lot easier than me trying to explain in words but yes, it's just the way they are designed apparently. One side will force water in, the other side will force it out. I think they are asymmetrical but not directional? They work that's the main thing, just looks a little counter intuitive

Good link here;

https://www.jungletyres.co.uk/blog/uniroyal-rainsport-3-why-weird-design

gigglebug said:
[post]351598[/post] I'll take some photo's tomorrow if I get the chance, it'll be a lot easier than me trying to explain in words but yes, it's just the way they are designed apparently. One side will force water in, the other side will force it out. I think they are asymmetrical but not directional? They work that's the main thing, just looks a little counter intuitive
Like this? Snap, by the time I rotated the jpeg!

Ah I understand now.Well it certainly doesn't effect a cars wet weather ability.When I recently fitted a set to my Exige I took it for a blatt up to Élan valley and it was pi££ing down.Driving through standing water at a speed that would have put me in a spin on 888s the car felt stable and inspite of the direction pattern abnomiley car ran dead true.And this is a car that has very little down force or weight at the front even at 100mph(on track) due to most of the weight being over the back axle.Find tyre pressures best set at 21psi front 24psi back cold.(on a Lotus that is).Pressures quickly reach 25 f 28 rear on a warm road.

I can't get my head around how they can give equal performance on one side as they do on the other, there has to be some sort of difference doesn't there even if it is minimal? I'm a big advocate of having good quality matching tyres on all four corners, I know these work just can't work out how!

Latest posts

Back