Unresponsive steering/knocking noise on full left lock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattraisin

Just picked up a 2000 Puma. First things the clutch spun up when I tried to give it some beans, so that's a job. It stank.

My real issue is that I think something is awry with the steering/suspension. I have never driven a puma before but, it made bumps in the road feel like hell and uneven surfaces felt bouncy rather than just harsh. On full lock left there is a lot of play and it makes a knocking sound. It feels unresponsive and sllack.

It has lowering springs fitted, which I will be binning, to the front only, could that do it? On last MOT the bushes were advisory and not sure if they were done..could that do it?

Sounds to me like a new clutch and slave, for the handling get matching springs with shocks all round and definately new rubber top mounts.
check both lower arms and drop links and track rod ends for play, knocking when turning will be the drive shaft or drop links, i would try drop links first as they are cheap

Replace all the shocks? Is it worth sticking the OEM springs back on the front first to see? The rubber top mounts, can these bought on their own? Thanks for the help.

Sure try just replacing the oem springs first (I have spring compressors for sale :grin: ) and yes the rubber top mounts are available separately.

Had a better look at it this morning. In the rear the springs are painted red so I presume not OEM, the front is the same. What I don't get is why the front looks so damn low (it hits speed bumps) when the back looks standard. I tried bumping it up and down and their is very little movement, very stiff at the front but fine at the back. Also, I had the engine running for just about two minutes standing and the rear got very hot, I am going to presume this is the cat being very close to the manifold and it is nothing to worry about.

To add further, there was a bunch of mucky oil on the line going from the block to the brake servo, not sure how it could have got there. This thing had a service 2000 miles ago and has full ford dealer service history. More oil can be seen on the left of the intake and around and underneath, along the join, sure this is nothing as well.

Thanks for your help so far. Looks like I will need some compressors, how much?

I hope you did a deal, sounds like a long term love.

Suspension vagueness is more likely to be down to the rubber bits than the ride height.

Latest posts

Back