Update on the airbag warning light issue for facelift Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma1700Sno

As some of you may know, after owning my Puma for a few months, my Airbag warning light illuminated on the dashboard.
I tried all the usual obvious things like check fuses and connect / disconnect multiplugs next to the seats etc. to no avail.
As MOT time was looming I decided to try and fix it!

I bought a new (supposedly compatible) unit from ebay and the light stayed on!

After mentioning the above to my regular technician he was advised me that the first thing I would need was going to be a good auto-electrician with fault diagnostic equipment.
Luckily I found an excellent one in English Street, just off the City centre of Hull, named J&J Auto-electrics.
For £42 he spent a fair bit of time checking fuses, connections etc. and then connected the diagnostic equipment up. This was perhaps the most useful and important stage of the car fixing journey!
The diagnostic confirmed that the original airbag ECU (ending in part number AC) had failed internally. In addition is also confirmed that the replacement (newer) AD unit from ebay was fully functional but NOT compatible with my car.

At this point I then went to source another unit from a scrap yard in Hull. I found another identical part number (AC) unit from a single air bag Fiesta Zetec-S.
At this point I geuinely believed it would be simply "plug & play" but this unit also caused the light to remain illuminated!....

..... so the technician & I concluded that Ford have made things very difficult in these instances! Firstly, as you would expect... you have to have the right airbag module code (in this case AC) & secondly the donor vehicle must IN ADDITION have the same number of airbags fitted - otherwise the module will not work!
So Finally (after using up my last few days off over a week and a half) I drove to Doncaster today and tried a 4th unit. This one did have the AC Code and I was told that it did come off a twin airbag donor vehicle.
Not expecting too much I disconnected the battery in the car park & waited a few mins before removing the old module. The new module was then fitted, battery re-connected & fingers were crossed as I turned the key in the igntion!

Finally, success!
Also a big thanks to Motorhog in Doncaster!

Can I ask...Where exactly is the Airbag Module situated?
I have a similar problem on a Racing Puma and would like to access the module for a looksee?
regards
Brian

You won't visibly see that it's broken, I imagine the Racing Puma is behind that gearstick surround. But some Pumas had it mounted somewhere daft I believe.

Either behind the gearstick as above or behind the dash on the bulkhead.

I've not yet worked out what decides the location.

OK..tracked it down right at the front under the heater really in front of the gearstick as suggested.
Now clearly, I want an identical unit...It's difficult to see too easily, its well tucked away but the last few part number digits seem to be 148056AC?.
Just to let you know, the warning light on the Airbag illuminates when the ignition is switched on with all the other warning lights, then goes out only to reappear after a couple of seconds, then it remains resolutely ON.
When it had its last MOT they said they'd tested it and the Module was fried, but because it wasn't an MOT fail then, I didn't bother....,but it is now...ho hum...
many thanks
Brian

I've got loads, five still in cars so I can make a note of how many airbags were fitted.

You have two bags in the FRP?

Also not sure about the FRP seatbelt tensioners - should they also match?

Ian, do you think these will match a Fiesta? I bought a module off ebay and it was completely wrong even though it was advertised for the car. It only cost me about £15 so I didn't dispute it at the time.

It's a 2000 with 1 airbag, I'll try and get the code.

Also; if you look on the back of the airbag ALL of them will be out of date by now as they have a 10 year service life....so they may not even go off at all! or worse still (being an ex-army explosives expert) you all have 'out of date' / old explosive charges in your cars....thats not good!

i removed my airbag as soon as i saw it was going out of date! which left the warning light on...so i took the bulb out! i have also replaced the wheel but putting non airbag covers back on would keep the mot man happy

Sorry about not replying earlier guys, to confirm a few things, Fiesta's with the same style analogue / digital odometers with correct code and identical airbag configuration should be fine. For the later Fiesta's and Puma's with digital dash, the module is between the two footwell behind the gear lever console as stated above. For older models it lurks behind the dash somewhere. I seem to think behind passenger air bag ?

Mine did have the fault were it went off and back on again, now it's fixed!

red said:
Ian, do you think these will match a Fiesta? I bought a module off ebay and it was completely wrong even though it was advertised for the car. It only cost me about £15 so I didn't dispute it at the time.

It's a 2000 with 1 airbag, I'll try and get the code.

Autoafford in Hull have some spare modules. They definately have a single airbag AC & an AD unit.

Not having any luck I'm afraid..I have an AC unit and ordered another, an AD unit arrived vendor said they were identical.
But the new unit is exactly the same doesn't work...
My car an FRP clearly has 2 airbags, i wonder if anybody has the part number for the correct unit?
Many thanks
Brian

bonnietiler82 said:
Not having any luck I'm afraid..I have an AC unit and ordered another, an AD unit arrived vendor said they were identical.
But the new unit is exactly the same doesn't work...
My car an FRP clearly has 2 airbags, i wonder if anybody has the part number for the correct unit?
Many thanks
Brian

Brian, I seem to remember that the model numbers are actually the same. It's just the code on the end that differs. An AD unit will not work on an AC module car as you have found. Get Ian to supply and AC one off a twin airbag car (that hasn't had the bags activated) & you'll be fine!

Latest posts

Back