Upgrade an 1.4 complete loom

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gijs

Hello,

I'm changing a 1.4 into an 1.7 Puma, I know the wiring loom must be replaced
but do I need to remove the dash compleet ? to get it done.?

thanks

gijs

Yes as it is cable ties along the full length of the dash at the top. You certainly have to unbolt the entire dash, but you can just pull it forward rather than having to remove completely from the vehicle.

Thanks

think it's better to remove dash, so i can tie it op again don't want lose cables behind the dash
if i'm going to do it then better go all the way. :?

rgds

gijs

mate i wonna know more about this as im planning the same thing

nono no i want mine car there many like it but this one is mine
with out me my car is useless with my car ........well id have to walk lol but i have loads to mine and im proud of it

Removed dash today, hell of a job...tomorrow i'm going to srip the complete inner of my old puma
to get al wires ready to be transplanted into my new Puma.......

gijs

I'm going to take pics tomorrow..... it''s a lot of wire

Hmmm, are you sure you need to replace the interior loom?? As far as I was aware, you just need to unplug the engine bay loom at the fuse box, and the 2 plugs (white and green), fit straight into the 1.7 engine loom. Then you just plug the 1.7 ECU in and put the transponder in your key, & your away. This was certainly the case when I did a 1.6 to 1.7 conversion. The only thing you have to be sure of is that you replace analogue with analogue loom, and digital with digital loom!

You would need to replace interior loom if you were swapping from analogue to digital, but not if your swapping like for like. Or maybe the 1.4 is a different set up??

Thanks for the feedback, that helps a lot, it's both non digital...wish I had digital (is it possible to upgrade.?)
my old Puma goes to the scrapyard...and extra loom can always be usefull.

But I have only 1 question left my 1.7 engine has abs and the 1.4 hasn't won't I miss connector at the dash
for abs lights.

Gijs

Hello Noob....noobster,

if I disconect the fusebox inside the engine bay, how do I do that.?
I know the 2 connectors, and the 2 connectors with redwire .

I have disconnect the connector towards ABS pump (on the left side of the fusebox)

then there still goes wire loom straight from fuse box into the car.........how do I doscnnect that cable.?

I'm a newbie.......

Ha ha, nice pic there!! From the fuse box, the big mass of wires goes down into the big grommet on the passenger side, to your ECU plug, you need to disconnect the ecu, & pull that up through the hole. Then disconnect the wire that runs under the carpet to the rear abs plug. Disconnect the rear ABS and pull it up through the floor into the car, and then through the car up into the engine bay. The only wire left is the fuel cut off switch, unscrew the switch from by the ECU, and pull that up through to the engine bay, and it should come out, there are a few cable ties that might need cutting to allow complete removal.

If you want to change to digital, then you would indeed need to use the interior loom of a digital car. If you want the air on to work, you would just need to wire the switch to the AC pump via the fuse box (inside the car), i think it's just a 12v switch. But then if your swapping out the interior loom anyhow, it would already be there. You would also need to swap the speedo and gearbox transducer for digital conversion.

noob i love you knowledge me. are you sure you didnt make the car at ford :thumbs:

Nah, I'm just a nerd who loves pumas. My knowledge can't be that good, I still haven't finished sorting my ABS issue out!! & I've made tonnes of mistakes & cock ups, that's the only reason I know how to do stuff, because the chances are I've already cocked one up somewhere along the line. I've learnt a lot from everyone on this site, it's a fountain of knowledge!

Oh, and with regards to ABS, your ABS will work (providing you fit sensors as your none ABS car won't have them), but the dash light may not work. Its possible it might work as I don't think the interior loom between ABS and none ABS models was different (I could be wrong), but if the dash light doesn't work, you could have a problem with MOT as they will see an ABS module but no ABS light on the dash. That's a fail straight away, even if the ABS is working, so it's something to consider. I'd also take the master cylinder from the car with ABS, as it's possible they could be different.

thanks, noobster it's my first big project and your help will save me a lot of time,
when everyting has been swapped a next project will start, rear disc conversion....time looking
for st170 disc set

rgds

gijs

Back