Upgrade From FRP Cams - Worth It?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1679

Ran a set of Ford FRP cams in my 1.7 for about 50,000 miles now.
Engine is FRP spec (cams , inlet, exhaust manifold, ECU) and also a very mildly ported head skimmed to bump compression to approx 10.8-1. All was fitted to a 63,000 mile MHB bottom end I dropped on.
Question is……. for the road, are any of the listed cams any improvement on the FRP ones without destroying the road manners?
I have a set of 42mm DTH Jenveys to fit as well in future but do not want cams that will make it too peaky.
Preference No.1 are the Newman PH2 Fast Road,
No.2 the Piper FRP Fast Road profile and lastly the Newman PH4 Rally / Sprint cams.
Anyone using the above? Any comments to add?
Built a couple of engines that used cams that were not too wild with Weber carbs (remember them?) that were a nicely rounded engine for the road and that’s what I’m trying to aim for here.

Hi Rob.I'm wondering the same. Ive got a low mileage spare engine to rebuild and detail over winter to FRP spec,but I'm hankering for just a 'tiny bit' more than that. What sort of power is yours making with its head work?? I'm sniffing around a Lightning MS stg 3 set of pistons ,head with cams but wanting to keep it on a FRP map.Love the idea of throttle bodys but want retain the stock clocks and keep it looking as OE as possible.

Hi.
I have the same spec......full FRP specifications. Before I did the engine mods I was looking at cams but did not find that much info. Piper were quite informative. I think once we start the quest for more power it keeps running away from us and we keep travelling down that road. I limited myself to bolt on only mods. The next ting I was going to look into was a custom remap. There are such wide parameters that ECU's are programmed to such as altitude, poor grade fuel etc. many of which don't apply here in the UK. As for the Webbers ....I actually ran twin 45 Dellortos on a 2.3 Vauxhall. I did enjoy listening to the intake burble. I will follow this thread with interest.

Regards,
Richard.

Pugmanaught - To answer your question - I am uncertain of any hp gains from the mildly ported head as I have not had it rolling road tested. I was told the standard clocks can be retained by running a crank sensor lead adapter that splits the output so you can connect one to the OEM ECU (to run the tacho) and the other to the standalone ECU. Omex make one.
Think I am going for the Newman PH2 fast road ones. The PH4 rally / sprint look like a bit much for a road car.
Pic shows the jenveys offered up to the head before I built the engine back up. ST170 injectors in a 1.6 fuel rail fitted to the 1.7 injector rail that is being used as an adapter.
Only planning to use these if the std 1.7 green injectors fall short of supply.

Attachments

• 3A92F089-B2AA-4D5D-989C-F1C382774113.jpeg
    3A92F089-B2AA-4D5D-989C-F1C382774113.jpeg
    698.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi Rob .Those bodies will sound awesome! Ahh right the crank output splitter is food for thought. That said I'm probably committed down the replica frp manifold route now having picked up a used Lightning ms part.Build quality isn't the best but I'll see what I can do with it before looking at plan B..

Richard, I used to run a Mk1 1.7 Crossflow Fiesta on twin 40s back in the day...Then a home built Mk2 Xr2 with a 2.0 cvh on twin down draft (ex MG Maestro) webers.So I may yet end up putting bodies on....;)

Latest posts

Back