URGENT HELP! Front spring recommendations.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi Guys.
I had the front drivers spring snap on me yesterday. About 13 years ago I fitted a full set of Ebach lowering FRP springs, I think they lowered the car 40mm. I have been on ebay there seems so many to choose from, many of which I suspect may not be the real thing. Seeing that the springs are now old I do not have a problem with fitting a complete full set. I do at times find the ride a bit harsh so I not adverse to fitting something giving a more comfy ride. Obviously the only springs available are aftermarket. Has anyone got any recommendations for me as I need to get the repair done ASAP.

Last edited:
It might be worth looking at a decent set of coil overs as I think you will struggle to find a genuine set of EIbach as they don’t make them for the Puma anymore. That way you can try all different heights and adjust the bounce and rebound characteristics and then set it to a ride that suits you at any given time.
I had lowered springs on my car until one of the shocks started leaking I found that the cost of the coil overs I ended up getting (Gaz) weren’t that much more than a decent shock and with the coil overs you can send them back for servicing if they leak etc.
if you want get really technical you can also request different spring strength

Several weeks ago, I started to replace all four dampers. One thing led to another, and I decided to also refurbish my Eibach springs by removing the surface rust and repainting. To do this I needed to replace the polyurethane sleeves that cover part of the coils.
I contacted Eibach to see what tubing I needed to order, and during the correspondence, I also mentioned new springs.
Eibach checked, and it is possible to do a production run of E3581-140 Pro-kit springs.
At that time, as a very rough figure, 20 kits was around £272.15 + VAT per kit. The lead time was around 14 weeks.
Prices can obviously change, as can lead times.
During the next few days, I'll post both here and on the Facebook Puma Owners Group to see if there would be enough interest to move this forward.

Hi Guys.
I had the front drivers spring snap on me yesterday. About 13 years ago I fitted a full set of Ebach lowering FRP springs, I think they lowered the car 40mm. I have been on ebay there seems so many to choose from, many of which I suspect may not be the real thing. Seeing that the springs are now old I do not have a problem with fitting a complete full set. I do at times find the ride a bit harsh so I not adverse to fitting something giving a more comfy ride. Obviously the only springs available are aftermarket. Has anyone got any recommendations for me as I need to get the repair done ASAP.
Hi Richard,

If it gets you out of the Sh*t I have a set of standard Puma springs unsure what brand but you can have them FOC. You will need to either organise a collection or a courier.

I am running PI Lowering springs on mine with Monroe Gas Matic Shocks - I found this combination to work well, not a harsh ride yet they have been good enough for the track days I have done too.

Anyway, the offer of the 2nd hand springs is there if you want them just drop me a message.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for your replies and in particular the offer of springs to get me out of the poo poo. I have only a few months ago fitted all round new shocks with mounts etc. So If I had not done that I would consider a set of coilovers. I think what I will do is buy a pair of 'Lo springs' I know they are cheap but they are TUV approved. They don't take long to change which I can do myself so no real cost involved there. Even if they only last a year or two I can look upon it as a road test and do a review on them.

Regards, Richard

I have seen full sets of H&R spring around but they seemed quite expensive.
On my puma I have TA technix springs and struts that I bought as a kit, I'm quite happy with them even if they are a bit harsh but I can imagine them being worse than the ones you had before. You can get a full set of springs off eBay for 100€.

Back