Variable Cam Timing Solenoid fault

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickyboy

Hi

I'm new to Puma's - have a 1998 1.7 which is running rough, I have replaced coil pack, plugs, leads and camshaft position sensor. Snap on scanner is returning code P1380 Variable Cam Timing Solenoid A Malfunction - what does this mean, is there a simple fix?

Thanks

Try giving the connections a clean, I'm sure I've read recently that it sometimes won't work if the connection isn't 100%.

I'll let others answer more in depth as it's just what I've heard...or think I've heard...lol.

Welcome by the way ;)

might be the timing is actually out if someone has replaced the cam belt in the past and didn't quite know what they were doing.

Thanks for post on Timing - but car was running 100% when I bought it. It sat for a week while I was on Holiday and when I returned and started it up it sounded off on a cylinder and didn't clear with new plugs, leads and coil pack. That's when I hooked up the scanner.

it's not what i suggested then! :lol:

sounds like the solenoid has jammed internally. possibly if the oil was poor quality and congealed in there when it sat still....try cleaning connections first, if not then rmove solenoid and clean it out :)

mat

Thanks guys, cleaned connections last night - made no difference will remove and clean solenoid this weekend.

Hi

I have the solenoid out at the moment, cleaned and ready to go back it but its -1 or -2 most nights when I get home. I will try to refit this weekend and let you know.

i sorted mine today mate was that i dint have anti freeze in it engine was frozen lol i did put some in but not enough my own fault it was starting and runnin for few seconds just would cut out wen u rev it i had breakdown come out take me to garage they defrosted the pipes emptyed the water and put in new runs better then it ever has be4 now

Back