Vehicle speed sensor

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodspike

Well guys and gals, I've had enough of my engine revs not dying down immediately, so I'm going to change the Speed sensor. Has anybody changed one, and how much of a git of a job is it? How much is the part and how long did it take? I presume I've got to get underneath to do it, but I used to spend half of my time off under cars so that's no problem. Any guidance will be appreciated so muchos gracias in anticipation. Cheers peeps

acording to my history of my car its had a new one fittied a year ago and fitted and part cost 75 pounds so dont know how much it would be to do it your self

Cheers mate, I'm not bothered about the cost really, if it needs it I'll get it. Can't be too hard to do if it was only 75 notes, might just give Fords a ring in the morning and see how much/long it would be.

Not quite the Puma, but I have changed one on the old 1.25 fezza I had.
The Haynes manual told me I had to remove a roll pin to enable the speed sensor to be removed.... anyone ever tried removing a roll pin by pulling it, as there is nowhere the other end to knock it out...?? Erm, impossible I would say!

Anyway, after much struggling, I found a pair of adjustable pipe grips did the trick... the whole sensor uscrewed from the gearbox, making sure the speedo cable and the sensor wire were disconnected.
Sort of easy to get to, but not so easy to unscrew, but is certainly DIYable, once you get it loose.
Take note that the car had a speedo cable attached to it. I have no idea how the sensors are if you have a digi dash.

im having the same problem with mine,but my pumas had an older gearbox fitted before i was the owner.so im on the sensor that has the wire built in to the top as opposed to the one that disconnects.but the one that ive got is 102 quid nwe! but ive been told one from either a ka or a fiesta will fit.i think there ib5 gearboxes is that true?

I can't comment about the KA, but the one on my Fezza (N reg) was the same as my Puma.
My Puma had the hunting/hanging Idle when changing gear, as did the Fezza. I used parts from the Fezza to fix the Puma. I swapped the TPS which was the same, and I'm pretty sure the Speed sensor was too. The ICV was different though.

The Speed sensor I have has a wire out of the top (as well as the speedo cable) with the wire on mine beining connected below the coil pack. I paid about £70 all in from Ford, but that was a while ago.

Cheers guys. I checked with Mr Ford on Friday and the sensor is a mere £84 + VAT. The guy behind the counter said he didn't think that was the cause so I took it to my friendly mechanic who stuck it on the diagnostic for half an hour but no fault showed up (could have told him that) good thing was, no charge.

got mine today through work was £72 plus vat and i got new worm gear too as that could have worn.but mine is the black plastic screw in one with the lead connected.but a mate said theres a pin to remove and on this brand new part i cant see any groove for a pin to slide through to hold in to place? surely the sensor screwed in would be strong enough to secure it? and by the lead i mean 3 wires not a speedo cable/lead

The pin your mate is referring to may be the roll pin I was talking about. This pin does not need to be removed to get the sensor itself out. I can only assume the pin has to be removed to change the rest (ie. worm gear?).

Like I said earlier, on the Fiesta, the roll pin was inserted from one side, but there was no hole the other side to enable me to knock it through/out, therefore the only way to get the pin out was to pull it, and in my opinion, that was virtually impossible!
No idea what it would be like getting the one out of the Puma, if it has one.

The electrical lead on mine has three wires/pins and the speedo cable screwing directly onto the top of the sensor.

Hope this helps.

all sorted as of 30 minutes ago,was the 3 wire sensor no need for the worm gears to be touched,so technically the cars drunk 60 ltrs of fuel but done zero miles! ah well thats motoring for you.

need to remove that pin to get the worm gear out, can in theory do it with the box etc in place, in reality its very difficult to get it out without dropping the gear back in the box, thus box off and apart to retrieve

treat with caution if you are doing this

What do you mean RE the engine revs not dying immediatly?

On my red Puma the alternator went dicky and that caused it to hold revs on the way down.
You'd rev it up to 3-4k, it'd drop down to say 1.5k... pause for a second or two then eventually fall to normal idle revs.

Turned out it was the brushes in the alternator sticking and if I gave it a tap with a spanner it would run fine again! :wink:

Spoke to Alan at Pumabuild on Saturday and he said that the trouble won't be the VSS, and then he put it on the deep scanner for an hour (Cheers Al). No faults on any sensor, although the O2 sensor was a bit strange. He said it was probably an air leak fooling the ECU that it needed more fuel than it really needed. Only way to find the fault was to change everything one piece at a time, started with the Throttle body, not much change there, although it does seem a bit quicker to die down. Next to try is the Inlet manifold gasket (luckily I've got a spare, £50ish otherwise) but that's going to have to wait a couple of weeks.
Stay tuned for another gripping episode of................................................!

it would be worth looking at the white plug going into the PAS pipes at the front drivers side of the car near the wheel, common problem for a wire to break here and cause exactly these symptoms, easy fix, so check that

Back