Weigh reduction bhp/ton

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody!
my puma, for formula driver in Italy, now weight 857 Kg, with 5Lt of fuel
but I have all the rear window original...
how many kg they weight?
i think to change them with a Policarbonate window...

I need less weight!! my target is near 815/820 Kg!
any idea?

The first thing I did to my puma (mainly used as a track car) was strip out everything I could think of, it's unbelievable how much difference something so simple can effect the car.....and it's free

Do you think a passenger's weight benefits the handling? It increases weight, but does it balances the centre of mass? Same about spare wheel, full tank...

By removing exactly what you state in the first post I managed to get 960 kg +/- 5kg on the weigh bridge at work. It's an amazing difference and your number are pretty close to reality :)

I did carry a lunch box :wink: and a spare wheel + standard jack, near full tank of gas.

Sjoerd said:
By removing exactly what you state in the first post I managed to get 960 kg +/- 5kg on the weigh bridge at work. It's an amazing difference and your number are pretty close to reality :)

I did carry a lunch box :wink: and a spare wheel + standard jack, near full tank of gas.

Good to hear :)

Thunderpuma said:
Do you think a passenger's weight benefits the handling? It increases weight, but does it balances the centre of mass? Same about spare wheel, full tank...

Don't think. As the weight is rather high in the vehicle it will only be a negative effect. If you really want to balance the vehicle I'd suggest mounting about your weight in lead on the floor pan. In the LHD version the weight balance is close to 50/50 - L/R. In the UK vehicles it might be different due to the weight of the engine being more to the drivers side.

The next part of my project will be to fix as many parts as possible low down in the vehicle. Battery, coolant and wiper tanks etcetera And yes, my passenger seat is serving as an extra seat in my living room now :wink:

Sjoerd said:
Thunderpuma said:

Don't think. As the weight is rather high in the vehicle it will only be a negative effect. If you really want to balance the vehicle I'd suggest mounting about your weight in lead on the floor pan. In the LHD version the weight balance is close to 50/50 - L/R. In the UK vehicles it might be different due to the weight of the engine being more to the drivers side.

The next part of my project will be to fix as many parts as possible low down in the vehicle. Battery, coolant and wiper tanks etcetera And yes, my passenger seat is serving as an extra seat in my living room now :wink:

Great, mine is LHD. I never thought about the obvious importance of the mass height in a car either (I'm used to the bike).

What about lithium batteries? I have one in the bike, the lead one weighs about 4 or 5kg. I put two LiFePO batteries together, intended for paintball guns. The total weight is about 700g. It has been working for 2 years. It's a 1000cm3 street bike, with headlights and everything. Maybe they it can be made for cars, using more units and charge balancers.

I'm not modding the car though, just curious.

I noticed weight at Blyton Park one time - I was hammering down the back straight at 110mph top speed but with a passenger the best I could get was 100 Mph, from then on in weight reduction was my number one aim. If I'm going to lose 10Mph on a fairly short straight by adding 70Kg, what can I gain by losing weight.

My Puma is on a serious diet - if it isn't adding strength or performing a function, its going - except for my spoiler lol

anyone know how much heavier a mild steel 4-2-1 and backbox is compared to a stainless? I've got rid of the standard cat which weighs an ton so I know the system I'm running is lighter (all mild part from centre section which is stainless) but would be interesting to know the difference.

Latest posts

Back