Weird noise from engine, maybe aux belt tensioner?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiiHu

My Puma started to do this weird noise the day before yesterday. The noise sounds kinda like whining/whirring/even rattling maybe? It comes from the left part of the engine, somewhere around the area where the belts are. Noise gets louder with the revs and quietens when revs decrease and it appeared from nowhere and I haven't heard anything like this before from my Puma. I didn't do anything special before it started doing this. One notable thing is that the weather just got from 0c to -10-15c so the cold might also have something to do with this.
I google'd a bit and it most propably is aux belt tensioner or cam belt tensioner, but it can be of course something else. Does anyone have any experiences about this kind of noise?

Here is a small video I shot from it. You can hear the noise best after 0:45
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQbTZ-QHPf4[/youtube]

This would be no problem otherwise but I have to drive 400km to home the day after tomorrow so this makes things problematic.

I can't load the video.. but one way I checked was by removing the alternator belt and start the engine up.
If the noise is still there I'll be something related to the timing belt.
If the noise disappears with the belt removed you know it isn't a timing belt issue :thumbs:

I did what you suggested. Problem was with aux belt pulley which was broken. I'm so glad that it wasn't with timing belt issue :D

Latest posts

Back