Welding Question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

Hi all. stupid question but I have a spare turbo and manifold and was wondering if I could weld them directly onto each other without issue? I've tacked the turbine housing onto the manifold no problem, just wondering if I should weld it completely. Obviously I won't be able to remove the turbine housing again before someone says :lol:

Hi Alex
If you're talking about the standard Puma manifold I think you won't be able to weld it as it's cast iron and cast iron doesn't take kindly to welding.
Barry

I've welded cast iron before, but it doesn't really like it as Barry says.

Just out of interest, why do you want to weld it directly on? Could you not weld a flange onto the manifold and then bolt the turbo on as normal?

Yes I am making a new turbo manifold out of a focus manifold. It's tubular and is the same manifold that the LMS ones start life as.
Just had my old one lying around with a spare turbo :) curiosity more than anything really

alexwilliams840 said:
Hi all. stupid question but I have a spare turbo and manifold and was wondering if I could weld them directly onto each other without issue? I've tacked the turbine housing onto the manifold no problem, just wondering if I should weld it completely. Obviously I won't be able to remove the turbine housing again before someone says :lol:
Hi i am also turboing my Puma with the origonal manifold and a saab turbo what im doing is putting 4 taps into the manifold using M8 thread slightley boaring out the old thread part on the turbo so it will slip over the studs and putting bolts on top i am putting 3mm steel between the turbo and manifold i will let you know how i do i hope this helps you
and of course this way you can seperate them if needs be.

i have welded a flange onto a standered 1.7 manifold and you can weld cast iron by preheating it so it dosent crack then cooling down slowley back in the cooker more info for this on my thread

:p :eek:k:

Jason

Back