Werid issue with REVS climbing and car going nowhere

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deri

Hey, I'm Deri new here. From Nottingham, UK.

Anyway, I don't know if this is the right section, but it seems relevant here.

I have been having an issue with my Ford Puma 1.7 2001. The problems revolve around the revs on the car. Every time I put my foot down to overtake, or just accelerate quickly the rev counter climbs and will hit 6700 and the limiter very quickly, but the car doesn't go anywhere. I have to very gradually put my foot down and drive normally for the rev counter to remain normal. If I give it a little gas the rev counter just climbs but the car doesn't respond much. :-( I really have to gradually put my foot down in order to use the entire rev range.

This happens also, when my foot is not even on the clutch. Gear changes seem smooth.

Would anybody happen to know what this could be, because I'm really baffled here? Regards, Deri

Hi Deri, welcome to the forum.

If the revs aren't climbing in relation to speed, it's usually the sign of a bad clutch.

There are several posts relating to clutches. Have a look using the search feature at the top of any page.

If you have a bad clutch, you need to get it changed ASAP. It can cause wear on the flywheel which means that needs to be removed and skimmed before the new clutch can go on.

quest63 said:
sounds like a slipping clutch
Pipped to the post again.....

Sorry, not to sound naive, but what does that entail. I'm not very mechanically minded. Just curious if that is the issue, would it be a big job to repair/expensive? Otherwise, I'll consider it scrap at the moment.

That's exactly the problem. Thanks I'll take a good look on here.

A clutch is a wearable replacement part yours may have been on the car from new dependant on mileage and how its been driven.

Probably a replacement will be in the £250 to £350 range fitted.

CherryVimto said:
Hi Deri, welcome to the forum.

If the revs aren't climbing in relation to speed, it's usually the sign of a bad clutch.

There are several posts relating to clutches. Have a look using the search feature at the top of any page.

If you have a bad clutch, you need to get it changed ASAP. It can cause wear on the flywheel which means that needs to be removed and skimmed before the new clutch can go on.

quest63 said:
sounds like a slipping clutch
Pipped to the post again.....

Pipped at the post is often caused by slipping clutches :D

Got to agree with everybody, can't really be anything else but the clutch.
If the car is 60k miles plus and still on original clutch then that's deffo what it is.
Quest is right with the cost of replacement, unless you're quite handy with the spanners you need to get someone to do it right.
Give Eldude a shout, he may help you out :wink:
Paul

I have a horrible feeling that theres going to be one less puma on the road soon for the sake of a consumable item :(

Back