What power gains from a decat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma1224

hi im wondering what sort of power gains i can get from a decat exhaust ,on a 1.7 puma is it worth the hassle etc its due for a remap soon ,and was think would it make that much difference,like to hear back from anyone that has done this ,thanks

your lose low down power due to lack of back pressure, and maybe gain a small amount high up the rev range, i dont think its worth losing the low down power for,when i tried it with mine it bogged down pulling on to roundabout and felt flat.

Personally i think a decat system gives you quite a bit of gain, BUT it depends on how and what you use your car for, Track days and the likes yes, when your bouncing it of the limiter alls good as the quicker the gasses are out the better.
But for normal road use then NO as its a wasted mod you have to take off every MOT.
And a sports cat really wont give you that much i had a 206 GTI identical to my mates, he fitted a full powerflow sport cat system and he still couldnt pull away.
Seriously if you want gains keep stripping the car, unless you want to put some serious money into your car. :eek:k:

if your getting a remap then having a decat well gain you more power. but just taking your decat out whit no remap is only going to gain you 3 or 4 bhp. when you take the car back for a mot and you refit the cat it mite not run rite when you remap ????

be aware that decatting is an mot fail.....which voids your insurance....which means if you have an accident and the police are involved you could end up seriously out of pocket or even in prison....just a thought

im not saying iv never done it....

but only when my sports cat was being fixed, then it went straight back on...not worth the risk....you never know when some muppet will walk out in front of you....in 10 years on the road iv had one girl on a bike near miss, several small kids...and one fat lump of a women with an ipod in....i managed to slow enough so she bumped her head and bit her tongue...and the police still came out to that because she went to hospital, any worse and theyd have kept the car...and tested it!!!

If you got a miltek full system with a decat the system is designed to keep most of the low down torque but no serious power gains couple of bhp but the throttle was sharper and the car had better pick up

jboy01 said:
Personally i think a decat system gives you quite a bit of gain, BUT it depends on how and what you use your car for, Track days and the likes yes, when your bouncing it of the limiter alls good as the quicker the gasses are out the better.
But for normal road use then NO as its a wasted mod you have to take off every MOT.
And a sports cat really wont give you that much i had a 206 GTI identical to my mates, he fitted a full powerflow sport cat system and he still couldnt pull away.
Seriously if you want gains keep stripping the car, unless you want to put some serious money into your car. :eek:k:

not strictly true, if you have a turbo car then yes as much gas out the better, but on a n/a you can lose power, especially mid and low down power, and sometimes across the whole range

thanks for all your replies i think i will not go down the decat route think a sports cat would be better

Back