What to do with oil breather? fitting uprated induction kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayllian

As the title says, what do I do with the oil breather pipe that goes into the standard air box? I will be removing the box completely as I am fitting a Pipercross Viper.

Hi,

When I fitted my induction kit I left the lower half of the air box in place with the oil breather attached, just means that the engine vents into the engine bay next to the new filter, seems to work fine, not noticed any fumes.

On my 944 I removed the complete airbox to enable me to fit a very big induction kit and had the same problem with the oil breather, got round it by extending the plastic tube a few inches, fitting a small filter to the end of the pipe and placing this through a hole in the wheel arch to "breath" from outside the engine bay, again worked fine.

So long as you place the oil breather pipe where you will not get fumes back into the car you should be fine.

Slightly more demanding option is to refit the breather pipe into the back plate of the new filter but this does demand a really good seal otherwise it becomes an air leak point

Small oil pipe filters can be bought from Demon Tweeks and others, normally matching you new filter.

Hope that helps

Some induction kits have another small port to fit the breather to, ideally you'd want vac on the breather to create a slight negative pressure, but I took mine off my 1.6 and didn't notice any negative effects, but I'd advise a small breather filter, as the breathers can induce air as well as exhale, and it can cause premature wear on components if fine grit it sucked in through the breathers.

PumaNoob said:
Some induction kits have another small port to fit the breather to, ideally you'd want vac on the breather to create a slight negative pressure, but I took mine off my 1.6 and didn't notice any negative effects, but I'd advise a small breather filter, as the breathers can induce air as well as exhale, and it can cause premature wear on components if fine grit it sucked in through the breathers.
thought yours was a 1.7 noobs

i put a k&n on and put it in original air box then put the pipe from the front bumper and drill a fit extra hole in the bottom but that only just fits in the box

LOONEY said:
PumaNoob said:
thought yours was a 1.7 noobs

I have a focus with a 1.6 aswell, it has a pipercross induction kit on, that sounds great but looses me power :lol:

Back