wheel clanking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimmer82

hey guys

I was drivign home today when i suddenly heard a clankign from what sounded like the front off side tyre, I stopped and had a look and there was nothign hanging down or from my untrained eye it all looked fine.

Sounded like a scaffold clip or lump of metal clunkign about, the same speed as the wheel revolved.
I have the 9 spoke alloys if that is of any help :-(

anyways, I gave it a little gas as the slow clunk clunk clunk was doing my nut, then it seemed to stop and i got it home, about 2 miles, incideent free.
any ideas?

Could be a number of things.

As it's stopped, if you'd got something stuck in your tyre thread, it could have become dislodged as you've gone faster. If it was a stone, nothing to worry about, if not, keep an eye open for a slow puncture.

Other things can cause a regular clunk, but my first thought would be to leave things as they are for now, and see if the noise comes back. If it does, swap your wheels (both sides) from front to back. As the load in greater on the front, any imperfections in the tyres or wheels are magnified compared to the rear. If that cures it, I'd say you're a victim of uneven tyre wear.

It's what was wrong with my o/s front tyre, and ended up spending a stupid amount changing all kinds of bits when it was actually a very simple solution.

Latest posts

Back